Solstice are an epic doom metal band from Bradford, England. They were founded on June 21st in 1990.The band is infamous for the instability of its lineup, to the point where no two albums have had the same vocalist. Or bassist. Or second guitarist.
Solstice has released three albums and one unique EPnote over the course of their career:
- Lamentations (1994)
- Halcyon EP (1996)
- New Dark Age (1998)
- White Horse Hill (2018)
Tropes associated with the band:
- Doom Metal: One of the more well known bands in the epic doom subgenre.
- Epic Rocking: Most of their songs are over the 6 minute mark.
- Every Episode Ending: All of the albums end with an atmospheric outro.
- Filk Song: Some of the songs on New Dark Age talk about Conan the Barbarian and the Cthulhu Mythos.
- Heavy Metal: Most material has some influence from traditional metal. The influence is more prevalent on later releases and the Halcyon EP.
- I Am the Band: Rich Walker, being the only member on every release.
- Longest Song Goes Last: True for all of the albums, assuming you consider the outros part of the last song.
- Loudness War: Averted on most releases. The remaster of New Dark Age is DR12.
- Metal Scream: Type 1 shows up on New Dark Age.
- Mohs Scale of Rock and Metal Hardness: Generally around a 7. The first two albums reach an 8 at points, and the various interludes are a 1-2.
- New Sound Album: White Horse Hill, although that's to be expected of an album released twenty years after the previous album.
- One Steve Limit: Downplayed. There is guitarist Richard Walker and Drummer Rick Budby.
- Revolving Door Band: It is rare for a member, barring guitarist Rich Walker and drummer Rick Budby, to be present on more than one or two releases.
- Sesquipedalian Loquaciousness: The first two albums practically require a thesaurus.
- Start My Own: Hamish Glencross would go on to start Godthrymm, which sounds like New Dark Age but with touches of Gothic and Stoner influence.
- Suspiciously Similar Substitute: Morris Ingram sounds quite a bit like Simon Matravers.