- "The music industry is really funny. When you have a hit record, everyone knows who are you, everyone wants to do duets with you. And then, if you have a miss, people suffer from amnesia."— Seal
Henry Olusegun Olumide Adeola Samuel (born 19 February 1963), better known as Seal, is a British pop and R&B singer who is best-known (at least in the United States) for his hits "Crazy" and "Kiss from a Rose". He was born on February 19, 1963 in London to an Afro-Brazilian father and Nigerian mother. Seal has won numerous music awards throughout his career, including four Grammy Awards and an MTV Video Music Award.
One of the other things Seal is known for besides his music are the rather impressive scars on his face. Over the years, rumors about those scars have ranged from them being African tribal scars to the result of a gunshot wound to being the result of a failed suicide attempt. The truth is actually pretty mundane: they are actually the result of a childhood illness known as discoid lupus erythematosus, a condition that affects the skin of the head and neck.
He married German supermodel Heidi Klum in 2004, but by 2011 the couple had legally separated. Their divorce wasn't finalized until 2015.
In addition to recording albums and touring, Seal was one of the four coaches on The Voice Australia during Seasons One and Two, and won both of those seasons (he guided both the 2012 champion, Karise Eden, and the 2013 champion, Harrison Craig, to victory).
- Seal (1991)
- Seal (a.k.a. Seal II; 1994) — The One with... "Kiss from a Rose".
- Human Being (1998)
- Seal IV (2003)
- System (2007)
- Soul (2008) — His first cover album.
- Seal 6: Commitment (2010) — His sixth album with original songs.
- Soul 2 (2011) — His second cover album.
- 7 (2015) — His seventh album with original songs.
- Standards (2017) — His third cover album.
Baby, I compare you to a kiss from a trope on the gray:
- Cover Album: His albums Soul and Soul 2 contain nothing but covers of soul classics. Standards contains jazz and swing standards.
- Distinguishing Mark: His famous cheek marks, a side-effect of a type of lupus called discoid lupus erythematosus. It's so associated with him that he's the page image for erythematosus on The Other Wiki.
- Greatest Hits Album: Two; Best 19912004 (2004) and Hits (2009).
- Me's a Crowd: In the music video for "Crazy".
- Overly Long Name: Thank goodness he has that stage name in hand.
- In the Style of...: He's admitted that "Waiting For You" is a stylistic pastiche of Stevie Wonder.
- Self-Titled Album: Four of them! Though the third is referred to as Seal IV for being his fourth album, and his seventh album is numbered six (because it's his sixth one with original songs) and has a subtitle.
- Uncommon Time: "Dreaming in Metaphors" is in 7/8 time.
- Video Full of Film Clips: Given he has a tend for performing in soundtrack songs, "Kiss from a Rose" (Batman Forever, where he even stands besides the Batsignal), "Fly Like an Eagle" (Space Jam - made by the same director, who has told Seal never forgave him for still putting Bugs Bunny in the video) and "This Could Be Heaven" (The Family Man).