Growing up in West Texas, he dropped out of school at 17 and worked as a rodeo bull rider before recording 2007's Mescalito, an album of rough, rocking outlaw country. He followed that with Roadhouse Sun (2009) and the mellower Junky Star (2010).
His fourth album, Tomorrowland (2012), sees him moving from country to a fuller (though still primitive) roots rock sound in the vein of Bruce Springsteen, and rebellious lyrics inspired by the Occupy Movement.
- Cluster F-Bomb: "Guess Who's Knocking".
- The Drifter: "Bread and Water" and other songs.
- Everything Is Big in Texas
- Harsh Vocals
- Murder Ballad: "Junky Star".
- Protest Song: "Dollar A Day", "Beg for Broken Legs", "I Heard 'Em Say", "Rising of the Ghetto".
- Three Chords and the Truth: up to Tomorrowland.