Rosalía Vila Tobella (born 25 September 1993), known mononymously as Rosalía, is a Spanish singer, songwriter and producer from Barcelona. Her music is inspired by the genre of flamenco, making a modern interpretation of it.
Her debut album, Los ángelesnote was released in 2017, and was mostly composed of acoustic takes on old flamenco songs centered around the themes of death. Made in collaboration with guitarist Raül Refree, it gained a lot of critical acclaim in her home country due to her vocal performance and became a Sleeper Hit.
After collaborating with Colombian reggaeton singer J Balvin on the hit album Vibras, she started teasing the release of her second album with the single "Malamente"note . It became one of the most successful singles of the year in Spain, marking the change of her trademark acoustic flamenco style for something more inspired by experimental R&B and Electronic Music.
Finally, El mal querernote , a Concept Album inspired by an obscure Occitan novel of the 13th century, was released in November 2018, to widespread success and acclaim both in Spain and the rest of the world.
- Los ángeles (2017)
- El mal querer (2018)
Her works provide examples of:
- Concept Album: El mal querer, being loosely based on the 13th century Occitanian book Flamenca, each track is divided in "chapters" along with a title accompanying the song's official title.
- Cover Version: The entirety of Los ángeles is based around covers of old flamenco songs.
- Dream Team: With Raül Refree for the entirety of Los ángeles and El Guincho for the entirety of El mal querer.
- with J Balvin, for "Brillo", taken from his album Vibras, and "Con Altura".
- with James Blake, for "Barefoot in the Park", taken from his album Assume Form.
- Everything Is an Instrument: "De aquí no sales" is based on samples of motorbike engines.
- Intercourse with You: "Di mi nombre".
- Lyrical Dissonance: Despite being ethereal and quite catchy, "Bagdad" is about descending to hell.
- Neoclassical Punk Zydeco Rockabilly: El mal querer is flamenco + everything else, really.
- New Sound Album: El mal querer compared to Los ángeles.
- Sampling: "Bagdad" samples Justin Timberlake's "Cry Me A River" and "Que no salga la luna" samples "Mi cante por Bulerías" de La Paquera de Jeréz.
- Toros y Flamenco: Being flamenco-inspired music, a lot of the imagery surrounding her music videos is based around this trope.