Ringo is the third studio album by Ringo Starr, released in 1973. Previously, in 1970 Starr had released two cover albums, Sentimental Journey and Beaucoup Of Blues. He had then put music on the back burner as he pursued an acting career. During this hiatus, however, he released two successful singles, "It Don't Come Easy" and "Back Off Boogaloo". These laid the groundwork for a full scale relaunch of Starr's music career.
Ah yes, The Beatles, the elephant in the room. This is remembered as the only album since their breakup on which Ringo and his former band-mates John Lennon, Paul McCartney and George Harrison appear - albeit not all on the same track. A little help from your friends certainly doesn't hurt.
- "I'm The Greatest" (3:21)
- "Have You Seen My Baby" (3:44)
- "Photograph" (3:56)
- "Sunshine Life For Me (Sail Away Raymond)" (2:45)
- "You're Sixteen" (2:48)
- "Oh My My" (4:16)
- "Step Lightly" (3:15)
- "Six O'Clock" (4:06)
- "Devil Woman" (3:50)
- "You And Me (Babe)" (4:59)
Bonus Tracks (1991 Reissue):
- "It Don't Come Easy" (3:02)
- "Early 1970" (2:20)
- "Down And Out" (3:04)
- Age-Progression Song: "I'm The Greatest" follows Ringo from childhood through adolescence to age 32.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: "You And Me (Babe)":Though I may not be in your town,
You know that I can still be found,
Right here on this record,
Spinning 'round with the sound.
- But Now I Must Go: "You And Me (Babe)", complete with a spoken Special Thanks to the album's participants during the fade-out:For you and me, babe, we may meet again,
And in the meanwhile, stay out of the rain,
But keep your nose dry,
And give us a smile if you like the show.
- Call-Back/Sgt. Pepper's Shout-Out: The ornate cover has the artist in the foreground and a crowd of colourful characters in the background. Sound familiar?
- Cover Version: "You're Sixteen" was associated with rockabilly singer Johnny Burnette.
- Evil Is Sexy/Face of an Angel, Mind of a Demon: Both Invoked in "Devil Woman". "Devil woman, you look like an angel to me!"
- Face on the Cover: Ringo standing next to a cherub in front of a large crowd. The word "Ringo" forms around him.
- Hot as Hell: The subject of "Devil Woman".You look like the devil with horns in your head,The only way i'll get you is to get you in bed.
- "I Am Great!" Song: "I'm The Greatest", of course. Note that Starr did not write it himself, Lennon did.
- Intercourse with You: "Devil Woman".
- One-Word Title: "Photograph".
- Pep-Talk Song: "Step Lightly"."Step lightly
You're movin' too fast
Take your time boy
Soon the pain will pass."
- Personal Raincloud: "Sunshine Life For Me (Sail Away Raymond)"."It's a sunshine life for me,
If I could get away from this cloud over me,
Seems to just follow me around."
- Precious Photo: The only thing left after a breakup in "Photograph".
- Questioning Title?: "Have You Seen My Baby?".
- Self-Titled Album: His first name (at least his stage name).
- Special Guest: Aside from the other Beatles there's also Linda McCartney, Marc Bolan, Billy Preston, Stephen Stills, four members of The Band, David Bromberg, and Martha Reeves from Martha & The Vandellas.
- Visual Pun: Ringo forms the letter "I" in his name/the title, and there's a star over his head.
- What Beautiful Eyes!: "Six O'Clock"."I (I) don't (don't) treat (treat) you (you)
Like i'd like to treat you,
Ev'ry diamond in the sky is in your eyes."