His musical career received a second kick in the backside in early 1999, when his performance of "Cup of Life" at the 41st Annual Grammy Awards brought Latin pop to the attention of the U.S. music scene.
DiscographyNote: Albums released during his tenure with Menudo will be listed on that page.
- Ricky Martin (1991)
- Me Amarás (1993)
- A Medio Vivir (1995)
- Vuelve (1998)
- Ricky Martin (1999)
- Sound Loaded (2000)
- Almas del Silencio (2003)
- Life (2005)
- Música + Alma + Sexo (2011)
- A Quien Quiera Escuchar (2015)
- The Assassination of Gianni Versace
- General Hospital
- The Love Boat
- Mad TV
- Sos Mi Vida
- The Voice
His music contains examples of:
- All Women Are Lustful:"And she bangs, she bangs
When she moves, she moves
I go crazy
'Cause she looks like a flower but she stings
Like a bee
Like every girl in history
She bangs, she bangs"
- Back to Front: "Private Emotion" displays him and his love interest first coated in ice, then the ice melting back to water, which returns to the sprinkler heads, so that the fire ignited by their passion reappears before un-igniting.
- The Cover Changes the Gender: Ever since coming out in 2010, he started performing some of his hits from a gay male perspective (eg. "He's All I Ever Had") in concert.
- Gratuitous French: "The Cup of Life (La Copa de la Vida)" has "Allez, allez, allez" and "Une, deux, trois".
- Intercourse with You: As part of the Latin Lover image, this is a prominent theme in his music.
- Lyrical Shoehorn: "Livin' La Vida Loca" had a dilemma in its chorus: the only workable English word to rhyme with "loca" is "mocha". But a reference to coffee in a song about a Femme Fatale would seem weird. But the solution they came up with was equally odd and tortured.Her lips are devil-red
And her skin's the color mochanote
- Manic Pixie Dream Girl: The girl in "Livin' La Vida Loca" will "make you live her crazy life," but the result is that "She will wear you out" and "She'll make you go insane." She's quite an experience but also dangerous.
- Mating Dance: Ricky really works his pelvis in a suggestive manner while performing "Come With Me (En Vivo)".
- Power Ballad: Ricky has two in particular: "She's All I Ever Had" and "Nobody Wants to be Lonely" (the latter a duet with Christina Aguilera).
- Starbucks Skin Scale: In order to make a rhyming scheme for "Livin' La Vida Loca", the girl was described as having skin the color of mocha.
- Stuffy Old Songs About the Buttocks: "Shake Your Bon-Bon", which prominently features those words in the chorus.
- Unscaled Merfolk: The music video for "She Bangs" features both standard mermaids and an octopus-merman.