Prince is the second album by Prince, released in 1979. The album was the Surprisingly Improved Sequel to his debut album "For You" (1978) and a much bigger commercial and critical success. It is best remembered for his first two hit singles "I Wanna Be Your Lover" and "Why You Wanna Treat Me So Bad?"
- "I Wanna Be Your Lover" (5:47)
- "Why You Wanna Treat Me So Bad?" (3:49)
- "Sexy Dancer" (4:18)
- "When We're Dancing Close And Slow" (5:18)
- "With You" (3:59)
- "Bambi" (4:22)
- "Still Waiting" (4:24)
- "I Feel For You" (3:24)
- "It's Gonna Be Lonely" (5:30)
Why You Wanna Trope Me So Bad?
- Ambiguously Bi: Prince sings in a very effeminate voice all throughout the album, but most songs are undeniably heterosexual, with "Bambi" as a prime example. In this song he tries to convince his former lover to leave her lesbian lover, because "it's better with a man". Funny enough it could be interpreted as a gay song too.
- Break Up Song: "Why You Wanna Treat Me So Bad?"There's some talk going 'round townThat you really don't give a damnThey say you really put me downWhen I'm doing the best I canI gave you all of my loveI even gave you my bodyTell me, baby, ain't that enough?What more do you want me to do?I play the fool when we're togetherBut I cry when we're apart, yeahI couldn't do you no betterDon't break what left of my broken heart, baby
- BrotherSister Incest: "I Wanna Be Your Lover"I wanna be your brotherI wanna be your mother and your sister, tooThere ain't no other that can do the things that I'll do to youBut I get discouraged 'cause you treat me just like a child
- Contemptible Cover: Prince shown from the torso up.
- Cradle of Loneliness: "Still Waiting"All my friends tell me about the loves they've hadCan't they see what they're doing to me?It makes me feel so badI'm so alone and broken heartedIt ain't like my life is endedBut more like it never started
- Cure Your Gays: "Bambi", in which the protagonist tries to convince his former female partner, who left him for a woman, to come back to him:Bambi, can't you understand?Bambi, it's better with a manAll your lovers - they just look like youBut they can only do the things that you doCome on, baby, and take me by the handI'm gonna show you what it's like to be loved by a man
- Dancing Is Serious Business:
Sexy dancer, sexy dancerSexy dancer, you got my body screamin'Sexy dancer, you got me just-a-creamin'
- "Sexy Dancer"
When we're dancing close and slowI never want to let you go, no, no
- "When We're Dancing Close And Slow"
- Face on the Cover: Prince shown up until his torso.
- I Am the Band: With the exception of "some vocal harmony" by André Cymone on "Why You Wanna Treat Me So Bad?", everything on the album was written, composed, arranged and performed by Prince.
- The Immodest Orgasm: Prince's moaning all throughout "Sexy Dancer".
- Intercourse with You:
I wanna be the only one you come for.
- "Sexy Dancer" has Prince sing that the girl "has him creamin'" and has a lot of suggestive moaning all throughout the song.
- "I Wanna Be Your Lover"
Sex-related fantasy is all that my mind can seeBaby, that's honestly the way I feelWhen we're dancing close and slowI'm not afraid to let my feelings showI wanna come inside of you
- "When We're Dancing Close And Slow"
- "I Want" Song: "I Wanna Be Your Lover".
- Non-Appearing Title: Prince's name isn't mentioned in any of the lyrics.
- One-Woman Song: "Bambi".
- Pegasus: Prince is riding a winged horse on one of the photos within the sleeve.
- Questioning Title?: "Why You Wanna Treat Me So Bad?"
- Real Men Wear Pink: The name "Prince" on the cover is printed in a "feminine" looking font, colored pink.
- Record Producer: Prince.
- Shout-Out: "Bambi" is a reference to Bambi.
- Self-Titled Album: The album carries his mononym as a title.
- Walking Shirtless Scene: Prince is shown in bare breast on the cover.