The sister group of AKB48 based in Niigata, Niigata Prefecture, founded in 2015.
NGT48 provides examples of the following tropes:
- Bilingual Dialogue: In the MV for "Sekai no Hito e" ("Людям всего мира", "To the People of the World"), set in Vladivostok, Russia,note Ogino Yuka and a local fan (portrayed by dancer/cosplayer Arina Pochtareva) talk to each other in their own languages.
- Friendly Rivalry: Fellow Niigata idols Negicco were actually very excited upon hearing the announcement of NGT48. There is no animosity between groups, in fact it's rather the opposite. The two idol units actually did a collaborative performance together.
- Idol Singer
- Loads and Loads of Characters
- Motor Mouth: Ogino Yuka. In the 2018 Senbatsu Elections, she staggered a bit after delivering her acceptance speech due to being out of breath. A fan made a video overlaying the speech with Trap Music, which she approved of and retweeted.
- No Indoor Voice: Yamada Noe.
- Small Name, Big Ego: In an episode of AKBingo!, Yamada Noe jokingly bragged that she would wipe the floor with the top 48 Group members if given the chance. Against all odds, she later actually wins a flirting contest against the aces of the other groups.
- Team Mom: AKB's Kitahara Rie and Kashiwagi Yuki were concurrently assigned to this group to help build it up as senior members, and Kitarie later graduated from AKB to focus on NGT.