NEWS is a Japanese boy band under Johnnys & Associates that released their first single in 2003, and then had a major debut in 2004. The group currently contains four members: Koyama Keiichiro, Tegoshi Yuya, Masuda Takahisa and Kato Shigeaki. At the time of their major debut they had a total of nine members altogether including Yamashita Tomohisa (also known as Yamapi), Nishikido Ryo, Moriuchi Takahiro, Uchi Hiroki (who was also a member of Kanjani8) and Kusano Hironori. After their first concert, Moriuchi left the group. Two years later, Uchi was suspended indefinitely from both Kanjani8 and NEWS for an underaged drinking scandal and then a year later in 2006, Kusano suffered the same fate, which caused the suspension of the group in 2006.
While NEWS is successful as a group, they are known for carrying out activities separately. Yamashita Tomohisa has been active as a solo artist, and released singles as part of "Shuuji to Akira" and "GYM". Similarly, Tegoshi Yuya and Masuda Takahisa work outside of NEWS as the duo "Tegomass" and have had regular tours and CD and DVD releases. Nishikido Ryo worked outside of NEWS as part of fellow Johnnys & Associates boyband Kanjani8, like Uchi Hiroki, but as of 2011, both Yamapi and Nishikido have left NEWS; the former to focus on his solo projects and the latter, due to scheduling conflicts that made it difficult to be in both groups.
- Boyband: An all boy group which dances together and often sings about love? Yup.
- Cherry Blossoms: Their single "Sakura Girl" which compares lost love to cherry blossoms.
- The Chick: Koyama Keiichiro. The oldest and arguably The Heart and Team Mom of the group with his conflict-averse personality.
- Colour-Coded for Your Convenience: They are. With the exception of Koyama who vacillates between Brown and Purple, the other members generally stick to the same colors when it comes to costumes. Tegoshi is Pink, Kato is Green, Nishikido is Blue, Yamashita is Red and Masuda is Yellow.
- Don't Think, Feel: Their upbeat and motivational single "Fighting Man" contains the English lyrics "Don't think. Feel! Bring it on" in the chorus.
- Gratuitous Disco Sequence: The music video for their "Koi no ABO" single, which starts out harmless enough but ends with them disco dancing in white suits under several disco balls.
- The Idiot from Osaka: Original member Uchi Hiroki played this up. Nishikido Ryo is also from Osaka but tries to avoid this label.
- Imaginary Friend: Kato Shigeaki writes his online journal entries from the prospective of Wagahai, his imaginary pet cat.
- Just for Pun: Massu's solo song "Massuperman" has tons of japanese puns regarding food.
- Wholesome Crossdresser: Notably Tegoshi Yuya◊ and Shigeaki Kato◊... well sorta