MOMOLAND is a South Korean Girl Group formed by Dublekick Company (now MLD Entertainment) through the reality show 'Finding Momoland'. The group debuted in 2016 with 7 members - Hyebin, Yeonwoo, Jane, Nayun, JooE, Ahin, and Nancy - with the mini album 'Welcome to MOMOLAND'. In 2017, Daisy, a contestant of 'Finding Momoland', and Taeha (a contestant of Produce 101) were added to the group.
In February of 2019, it was announced that Daisy and IKON's Yunhyeong were dating, which Daisy's company confirmed, but Yunhyeong's denied. Soon afterwards Daisy and Taeha went on hiatus - Daisy for "personal reasons" and Taeha for health reason.
In the summer of 2019, fans suspected Yeonwoo was getting ready to leave the group, although the company denied this.
In late 2019, it was announced that Yeonwoo and Taeha had left the group, Yeonwoo because she wanted to be an actress and Taeha because she had been on hiatus for a while due to health conditions and that she wanted to go out on her own.
At the same time, although the company said they were attempting to negotiate with Daisy regarding her future in the group, but she released several statements claiming that the company had been blocking her from promoting and insinuated Finding Momoland was rigged. The company issued a statement in reply that refuted all her claims, saying that it was Daisy and her mother who had demanded her removal from the group, the competition was not rigged, the time she claimed she was "not allowed to promote" with the group was a time when Momoland didn't actually have any promotions and finally, that they had offered Daisy the chance to return to work, and she ignored all messages from the company.
It was confirmed in mid May of 2020 that Daisy had departed from the group, but would be remaining with MLD Entertainment.
In July of 2020, Yeonwoo wrote a post that seemed to hint that she had been forced to leave the group, but shortly after issued a clarification post denying that she had meant anything by it and apologized for "unnecessarily causing concern".
- Hyebin (Lee Hye Bin, born January 12, 1996) - Leader, Main Rapper, Vocalist
- Jane (Sung Ji Yeon, born December 20, 1997) - Main Dancer, Vocalist, Sub Rapper
- Nayun (Kim Na Yun, born July 31, 1998) - Vocalist, Rapper
- JooE (Lee Joo Won, born August 18, 1999) - Lead Rapper, Lead Dancer, Lead Vocalist, Center, Face of the Group
- Ahin (Lee Ah In, born September 27, 1999) - Main Vocalist
- Nancy (Nancy Jewel McDonienote , born April 13, 2000) - Lead Vocalist, Lead Dancer, Visual, Center, Maknae
- Daisy (Yoo Jung Ahn, born January 22, 1999) - Lead Rapper, Main Dancer, Vocalistnote
- Yeonwoo (Lee Da Bin, born August 1, 1996) - Main Rapper, Vocalist, Visual, Face of the Groupnote
- Taeha (Kim Tae Ha, born June 3, 1998) - Main Vocalistnote
- Welcome to MOMOLAND - November 10, 2016
- Freeze! - August 22, 2017
- GREAT! - January 3, 2018
- Fun to the World - June 26, 2018
- Show Me - March 20, 2019note
Tropes Related to MOMOLAND:
- Aerith and Bob: There's the Korean names you'd expect - Hyebin, Yeonwoo, Nayun, Ahin, Taeha - then very European sounding names like Daisy, Jane, and Nancy. The true oddball is JooE
- Boyish Short Hair: Averted with Hyebin. She did have boyishly short hair for a time, but she wasn't designated as the tomboy because of it. Even with short hair, she has always dressed and acted very femininely, and not like an Expy of f(x)'s Amber or TWICE's Jeongyeon.
- But Not Too Foreign:
- Nancy (type 1) was born in Daegu to a Korean mother and American father.
- Daisy (type 3) was born in Seoul but raised in Canada for 11 years.
- Ahin (type 3) was born in Wonju but was raised in China since she was 6.
- Caps Lock: How MOMOLAND is usually stylised.
- Catchphrase: "Get your ticket! Hello, we're MOMOLAND!"
- "Double, Double" Title: 'BBoom BBoom, 'Same Same', 'VeryVery'
- Fan Community Nickname: "Merry-Go-Rounds", usually shortened to "Merries"
- Girl Group: A Korean Pop Music example.
- Idol Singer
- Impossible Hair Colors: JooE's is pink while Nancy's is green for 'BAAM'. Nayun's was red for 'BBoom BBoom
- Instrumentals: JJan! Koong! Kwang!, uh-gi-yeo-cha, Wonderful love, Freeze, BBoom BBoom, and BAAM all have instrumental versions.
- Wonderful love (EDM ver.) also has an instrumental version.
- The Leader: Hyebin.
- Meaningful Name: 'Momo' is the name of a character in a German novel who gives others happiness, and 'Land' as in the name of an amusement park. It means that they want to make people happy with their music and to make them feel like they are at an amusement park having fun.
- One-Word Title: 'Curious', 'Freeze', 'Fly', 'GREAT!'
- Singer Name Drop: 'Welcome to MOMOLAND'
- Sixth Ranger: Daisy was added on March 28, 2017. Taeha was added April 10, 2017.
- Stage Names: Yeonwoo for Da Bin, Jane for Ji Yeon, Daisy for Jung Ahn, and JooE for Joo Won.
- Averted for Hyebin who had a pre-debut stage name of "Cherry" but stuck with Hyebin in MOMOLAND's debut.
- Surprisingly Good Foreign Language: Ahin can speak Chinese (justified because she lived in China for 11 years), English, and Spanish.
- Translated Cover Version: As of May 2018, 'BBoom BBoom' has a Japanese version. And as of October 2018, BAAM also has Japanese version as well.