Melissa "Missy" Morrison Higgins (born 19 August 1983) is an Australian pop singer-songwriter, musician and actress (2002-present).
She played piano by age six and sang at twelve. She wrote a song for an assignment which was then entered into the national Unearthed radio competition for unsigned artists. Higgins won and signed recording contracts with Eleven and Warner Bros. After taking time off, backpacking in Europe, she recorded her first album The Sound of White, which was released in 2004. The album, and its first single, "Scar" both went to No. 1 on the relevant Australian Recording Industry Association (ARIA) Charts. Its second single, "The Special Two", went to No. 2. Higgins was nominated for five ARIA Music Awards that year and won 'Best Pop Release' for "Scar". In 2005 she was nominated for seven more awards and won five.
In 2006, Higgins wrote new material for her second album, and following a US tour she recorded On a Clear Night, which gave her another No. 1 single with "Steer". Higgins has conducted several well received Australian tours and performed at high-profile charity events Wave Aid (2005) and Live Earth (2007). She has toured internationally and lived and worked in the United States for ten months in 2008.
Her third album, "The Ol' Razzle Dazzle", was released in June 2012 and peaked inside the ARIA Top 10 Albums.
Alongside her music career, Higgins pursues interests in animal rights and the environment, endeavoring to make her tours carbon neutral. She is also the patron of One in Five, an Australian mental health charity. In 2007, following years of press speculation about her sexual orientation, she came out as bisexual, saying that she prefers interviewers to focus on her music. In 2010 she made her acting debut in feature Bran Nue Dae, and performed on the related soundtrack.
In 2014 she recorded and released Oz. She also got engaged and pregnant.
- The Sound Of White (2004)
- On A Clear Night (2007)
- More Than This EP (2009)
- The Ol' Razzle Dazzle (2012)
- Oz (2014)
- Solastalgia (2018)
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: "Sweet Arms of A Tune"
- Be Your Self: Scar, This is How It Goes, Hidden Ones
- Break Up Song: "Peachy", "Ten Days", "Where I Stood", "The River", "Secret", "The Wrong Girl", "Hello Hello", "Dusty Road"
- Bi the Way: Pretty open about her ambiguous sexuality and pro gay rights movements.
- Cover Version "You Only Like Me Because I'm Good In Bed"
- Driven to Suicide: Attempted to drown herself in the "Everybody's Waiting" Video.
- Follow Your Heart: Steer
- Grief Song: Cooling Of The Ember
- Green-Eyed Monster: "Secret"
- Intercourse with You: "Nightminds", "Warm Whispers", "The Sound Of White", "Drop The Mirror", "Unashamed Desire".
- Love Nostalgia Song: "This is how It Goes", "The Sound Of White"
- Lighter and Softer: The Ol' Razzle Dazzle
- New Sound Album: The Ol Razzel Dazzle
- Obsession Song: "Greed For Your Love".
- Rock-Star Song: "Everybody's Waiting", "Tricks", "Hidden Ones",. "Unashamed Desire"
- The Rival: Initially was the competition with Delta Goodrem; being a piano playing singer songwriter, of Australia but due to musical differences and contrasting career choices and images they have since lost their rivalry. Probably around 2008.
- Sanity Slippage Song: "Watering Hole", "100 Round The Bends"
- Silly Love Songs: "Don't Ever", "All For Believing", "They Weren't There", "Warm Whispers", "All In My Head", "If I'm Honest".
- Third-Person Person: "The River", "Sweet Arms Of a Tune", "Blind Winter".
- Wanderlust Song: "Going North"