A place that I've been dreaming of
No, oh time and space don't exist there
We can dance like there's no tomorrow...
Hugo Leclercq is a French electronic music producer and DJ best known for his work as Madeon. His most popular work includes his breakthrough 2011 mashup "Pop Culture" — so named for its use of 39 popular songs from across the worlds of pop music and electronica — and "Shelter," a collaboration between him and longtime friend Porter Robinson.
A producer since his tween years, Hugo's work generally blends modern electro house, nu-disco and pop into a slick, distinctive sound, earning him a diverse and sizable fanbase in the scene. His first album, Adventure, dropped in 2015 to critical acclaim, and the sophomore follow-up, Good Faith, came out in November 2019.
- Alternate Reality Game: He's pretty fond of these, making use of them for the promotion of his first two albums:
- For Adventure, Hugo's music videos, single covers and promotional material made use of a specialized alphabet◊ as part of an ARG expanding the narrative of the videos for "You're On," "Pay No Mind" and "Nonsense."
- Hugo kicked off the album cycle for his second full length by changing his Twitter profile picture to an inverted color palette version of the original image, and teased its lead single "All My Friends" by releasing an exclusive vinyl to four cities in the States and Europe a week before its full release.
- Animated Music Video:
- Auto-Tune: Occasionally shows up as part of his style. "Zephyr" uses it alongside a voice changer effect on Hugo's vocals, while Cut the Kid places a prominent vocoder effect on the vocal loop used throughout.
- Darker and Edgier: His Evil Edit of Shelter is a classic example, hitting much harder with a moodier sound than the original mix.
- Electro House
- Electronic Music: Yeah! With a heavy pop influence, natch.
- Fan Remake: The visuals from him and Porter's joint Shelter Tour were remade by fans as Shelter: the Movie.
- Genre Mashup: Like Porter, his music mostly classifies as electropop, disco and house, but he brings in elements of indie rock, chiptune and ambient tunes from time to time as well.
- Limited Lyrics Song: As of the end of this sentence, you now know the entirety of the lyrics to "OK."
- Older Than They Look: Even though he started off his career at an early age, he's been well known for defying the laws of aging for most of it. Just to give you an idea, this image◊ was taken when he was 19. (Since then he's downplayed this a bit by growing out a beard, but there's no denying the guy's got an uncommonly boyish face still.)
- The Outside World: The music videos for "You're On", "Pay No Mind" and "Nonsense" sequentially follow a guy and girl formulate a plan to escape an idyllic but sterile-looking cityscape, but beyond the city walls is nothing but a vast desert and a looming tower that lights up at night. Eventually, they reach the tower (which turns out to just be Madeon's logo) and presumably live Happily Ever After.
- Real Song Theme Tune: "Finale" is this for Play Station All Stars Battle Royale.
- Wingdinglish: The Adventure alphabet (see Alternate Reality Game above).
Beat to your own drummer
Go out fighting
Go out young
A flash of lightning
Eclipse the sun