Karen Marie Aagaard Ørsted Andersen (born 13 August 1988), known professionally as MØ note , is a Danish singer-songwriter and producer.
Described as a Synth-Pop artist by many, MØ is perhaps best known for her work with Major Lazer, notably on the international hit singles "Lean On" (with DJ Snake) and "Cold Water" (with Justin Bieber), both top ten hits in the United States. She also featured on the Iggy Azalea track "Beg For It," which charted to similar success a year prior.
MØ's debut studio album No Mythologies to Follow was released in 2014, to commercial success in her native Denmark, as well as critical acclaim abroad. Her follow-up effort, Forever Neverland, was released in 2018.
- Bikini Daze EP (2013)
- No Mythologies to Follow (2014)
- When I Was Young EP (2017)
- Forever Neverland (2018)
- "Lean On" (with Major Lazer & DJ Snake)
- "Cold Water" (with Major Lazer & Justin Bieber)
- "Beg for It" (with Iggy Azalea)
MØ provides examples of the following tropes:
- Bilingual Bonus / Getting Crap Past the Radar: "Mø" is the Danish word for "maiden," or "virgin." Non-Danish speakers won't necessarily know that.
- Cover Version: A cover of "Say You'll Be There" by the Spice Girls features on the deluxe edition of No Mythologies to Follow, since they're one of MØ's biggest influences.
- It Is Pronounced Tro Pay: It's Muh, not Mow.
- Meaningful Name: Aside from its Danish definition, "MØ" derives from the initials of her middle and last names.
- Singer Namedrop: "Maiden" is effectively this, since her stage name translates to that in Danish.