People like to hear their names
I'm no exception
Please call my name"
-"No New Tale to Tell"
Love and Rockets were an Alternative Rock band from England, composed of the members of Goth Rock godfathers Bauhaus, minus Peter Murphy: guitarist Daniel Ash, bassist David J, and drummer Kevin Haskins. They formed after Bauhaus split and Ash's side band, Tones On Tail, dissolved. The three attempted a reunion for Bauhaus, but Murphy declined to join, so the remaining trio formed a new group named after the comic.
The band split in 1999, reformed in 2007 alongside a brief Bauhaus reunion, then split again in 2009. Daniel and Kevin formed a new group in 2017, Poptone, with bassist Diva Dompe, before another Bauhaus reunion in 2019.
- Seventh Dream of Teenage Heaven (1985)
- Express (1986)
- Earth, Sun, Moon (1987)
- Love and Rockets (1989)
- Hot Trip to Heaven (1994)
- Sweet F.A. (1996)
- Lift (1998)
This band provides examples of:
- Alternative Rock: One of the bands that bridged the Post-Punk of the '70s with the Alternative College Rock of the '80s.
- Cover Version: The Temptations' "Ball of Confusion" and Pink Floyd's "Lucifer Sam."
- '80s Hair: Daniel's and Kevin's hair defied gravity, as seen above.
- Electronic Music: Their last few albums incorporated electronics and dancier rhythms.
- Goth Rock: Born out of Goth Rock forefathers Bauhaus, elements of it always remained in their sound but became less prominent with every album.
- Lead Bassist: David J shared songwriting and vocal duties with Daniel Ash.
- Lesser Star: Kevin didn't sing or write, but he was still important to the band's sound.
- New Sound Album:
- Earth, Sun, Moon had a more acoustic, folkier sound.
- Love and Rockets and Sweet F.A. had a harder rock sound than the albums before them.
- Hot Trip to Heaven and Lift were Electronic Music.
- Rock Trio: A classic guitarist/bassist/drummer example, though they're one of the few to be born out of a four-piece band with a dedicated singer; they simply continued without him as a trio.
- Self-Titled Album: Their 1989 album.
- Sibling Team: Kevin and David are brothers.
- Spin-Off: The band released a one-off single in 1988, "The Bubblemen Are Coming," as The Bubblemen, in which they would dress up as bees in live performances.
- Train Song: "Kundalini Express" and "Yin and Yang (The Flowerpot Man)" from Express.
- Vocal Tag Team: Daniel and David split lead vocal duties.