Love and Death is a Christian Nu Metal band formed by former Korn guitarist Brian "Head" Welch. Formerly known simply as Brian "Head" Welch or Head (as it started as a solo project), the band became Love and Death in February of 2012. Coming out of the Head name, the band went through a change from a six piece group becoming a four piece one. The only original Head members were Brian himself, Bassist Michael Valentine, and Drummer Dan Johnson. This left them in need of a new lead guitar player. Brian would find his new guitar player through the auditions of fellow Christian Rock outfit, Thousand Foot Krutch. Head would discover the "perfect fit" in 15 year old guitarist JR Bareis who was auditioning to be Thousand Foot Krutch's new guitarist (via YouTube) but was instead discovered by Head and installed as Love and Death's lead guitarist.
Love and Death were officially formed in February 2012 and released their first EP "Chemicals" on April 24, 2012. This EP included their debut single of the same name, a re-recorded version of Welch's last single "Paralyzed", a cover of "Whip It" by Devo, and remixes of "Chemicals" and "Paralyzed" by Christian Dubstep producer Har Megiddo. Love and Death would release their first full album "Between Here and Lost" on January 22 2013 on Tooth and Nail records. They then released a deluxe edition with a new song "Empty" and two more Dubstep remixes.
Their sound combines elements of Korn's unique sound with heavier, somewhat Metalcore sounding elements (Brian's Metal Scream among them) and some Dubstep/electronic sounds and effects. They have a very low sound, thanks to their downtuned baritone guitars and Valentine's six string bass. Most of their lyrics detail substance abuse (in a case of Write What You Know by Welch) and a lot of Christian elements and Double Meaning metaphors.
- Brian "Head" Welch: Vocals, Guitar
- JR Bareis: Lead Guitar, Vocals
- Dan Johnson: Drums
- Michael Valentine: Bass, Backing Vocals (2009-16)
This Band contains examples of the following tropes:
- Badass Beard: Head's beard is only overshadowed by his white boy dreads.
- Big Brother Mentor: Head has served in this role to JR, being a dramatically older guitar player with much more touring experience.
- Generation Xerox: As of late 2014. JR dreaded his hair an started growing a beard. he now looks like a mini version of Head, crossed with Skrillex
- Continuity Nod: During live shows they regularly play some of Head's solo artist songs as well as Korn songs.
- Christian Metal: More like Christian Nu Metal/Metalcore.
- Double Meaning: "Chemicals", while both being about actual Chemicals (Drugs and controlled substances) is also about sin and temptation.
- Hippie Jesus: Head's overall "rebellious Jesus" look combined with his laid back California personality give off this kind of vibe.
- Lead Bassist: Valentine was both a type C and type D. He is a type C because of being a major creative force and having a well known stage personality. He is a type D because he is part of a Korn inspired Nu Metal band.
- Looks Like Jesus: Before regaining his dreads, Head had a bit of resemblance to Jesus. Even with the dreads he has a certain "rebellious Jesus" look.
- Metal Scream:
- Head seems to be particularly fond of these.
- Very easily seen on "I W8 4 U" which features Christian Metalcore screamer Mattie Montgommery.
- Mood Dissonance: Meltdown's music video is this. Heavy Metal music about someone having a meltdown, the video? The band working at a Brand X version of Chuck E. Cheese.
- Neoclassical Punk Zydeco Rockabilly: They are a Nu Metal inspired band.
- With four Dubstep remixes.
- Not Christian Rock: They have claimed this before (stating they are a band of Christians, but all their music is not necessarily Christian), despite having obvious Christian themes in songs and the entire band being Christian.
- Nu Metal: Goes without saying as Head's original band essentially invented the genre.
- "Empty" has a very Linkin Park sounding back and forth between Bareis and Head.
- Peek-a-Bangs: Valentine has these◊. JR used to have them, now◊ he has something closer to a certain Dubstep artist's hair.
- Real Men Love Jesus: Naturally invoked by them as they are a Christian Metal band.
- Real Men Wear Pink:
- One of Valentine's signatures is his Barbie necklace.
- JR also has his Alice in Wonderland dress T-Shirt.
- Head's love for Devo could be considered this.
- Soprano and Gravel: Played with on "Empty" with the higher pitched Bareis trading off with Head's low whisper and Metal Screams.
- Team Dad: Head has filled this role being both The Face Of The Band and being much older than the other members of the band (43), (except for Dan, 35).
- Teen Genius: JR, until March 2015 when he turned 20. When Head first picked him up, he was SIXTEEN.
- Wild Hair: One of Head's signatures, supposedly because he got tired of braiding his hair.◊
- JR got this in 2014 too.
- Xtreme Kool Letterz: "I W8 4 U".
- Zombie Gait: Valentine's on stage persona, complete with makeup.