Formed in 1995 in Providence, Rhode Island at the Rhode Island School of Design (where acts like Lightning Bolt, Talking Heads, and Fang Island also originated from), Les Savy Fav began as Noise Rock/Punk band before becoming a hybrid between Noise Rock and Math Rock. After a hiatus in mid-2005 following the release Inches, they released Let's Stay Friends in 2007. In 2010, they released Root for Ruin. Their music has been featured in Grand Theft Auto IV (Raging in the Plague Age), MLB 2K7 (Hold Onto Your Genre), and True Blood (Let's Get Out of Here).
Les Savy Fav provides examples of the following:
- Almighty Janitor: Syd Butler may be the bassist, but he is also the founder/owner of Frenchkiss Records, the label that Les Ssavy Fav is currently signed to.
- The Cameo: Tim Harrington on Superjail!
- Epic Rocking: Titan (a very fitting name) is nearly fifteen minutes long.
- Everybody's Dead, Dave: Reformat is about this on a submarine.
- Genre Shift: between The Cat and the Cobra and Rome: Upside Down, guitarist Gibb Slife and drummer Pat Mahoney left (the latter being replaced with Harrison Haynes). This change in the line-up corresponded with a change in sound, drifting away from abrasive Noise Punk to a more idiosyncratic, but accessible sound that could be described as Noise Pop.
- Meaningful Name: averted by the band's name. It seems like it's French, but it really means nothing.
- Minimalistic Cover Art: on the other side of album cover spectrum is Inches, which consists of two cubes (purple and yellow) on a blue background.
- Mood Whiplash: both Harrington's vocals and the track-by-track movement of each album have this feeling.
- Overly-Nervous Flop Sweat: from Reprobate's Resumé:Sweating bullets in the faculty lounge. . .