Leaves' Eyes is a German Symphonic Metal band originating in Ludwigsburg, with some additional members from Stavanger, Norway. Former singer of Theatre of Tragedy, Liv Kristine, founded the band in 2003 with former members of Atrocity. They are characterized by the beauty of their music coupled with Soprano and Gravel vocals.
In April 2016, the band faced controversy regarding Liv Kristine's departure. While the band insists that they parted ways peacefully, Kristine claims that she was simply kicked out. In any case, she was replaced by Finnish vocalist Elina Siirala, who debuted with the band later that month.
Leaves Eyes contains the following tropes:
- The Band Minus the Face: Post-Liv Kristine. Sounds familiar....
- Excessive Evil Eyeshadow / Uncanny Valley Makeup: Elina is wearing way too much eyeliner in this video. Thankfully, she did not maintain the image for very long.
- Five-Man Band:
- Horny Vikings: Their lyrics mostly consist of this or something fantasy-themed.
- I Am the Band: Alexander Krull.
- Male Band, Female Singer / The Smurfette Principle
- Mohs Scale of Rock and Metal Hardness: ~6-7.
- Soprano and Gravel: The band's Signature Style is Liv's (and later Elina's) angelic voices contrasting with Krull's incredibly deep, raspy one. Liv helped popularize the style, in fact — she named it the "Beauty and the Beast" approach.
- Symphonic Metal: Oh so much. Sometimes their music sounds downright angelic.
- Rated M for Manly: Just because your band stars female vocalists with clear, symphonic voices doesn't mean it isn't this trope.
- Revolving Door Band: Take a look at their page on The Other Wiki. The list of former members absolutely dwarfs the list of present ones.