King of Rock is the second album by RunD.M.C., released in 1985 and best known for the title track.
- "Rock the House" (2:42)
- "King of Rock" (5:14)
- "You Talk Too Much" (5:59)
- "Jam-Master Jammin'" (4:20)
- "Roots, Rap, Reggae" (3:12)
- "Can You Rock It Like This?" (4:30)
- "You're Blind" (5:31)
- "It's Not Funny" (5:35)
- "Darryl and Joe" (6:39)
Can You Trope It Like This?
- Actually Pretty Funny: "It's Not Funny" lists a lot of situations that aren't hilarious to the person whom they should happen too, but some of them are pretty amusing to the listener. Others are downright ridiculous.
- Album Title Drop:I'm the king of rock!
- Alliterative Title: "Jam Master's Jammin'".
- Boastful Rap: "King of Rock", "Jam Master's Jammin'" both praise the band members.
- Call-Back and Continuity Nod: "King of Rock" has some continuity nods to "Sucker MC's", a song from RunD.M.C.... In "Darryl and Joe Krush Groove" Calvin Klein gets another diss.
- Capitalism Is Bad: "You're Blind":You're headed for the top, or so you thinkBut that's not true for you, your life is on the brinkof self-destruction, total corruptionYou better get out or die from consumptionSweat for a dollar, to get nothin backCause at the end of the week, you still get taxedYou'd even sell your soul to make your life correctBut with the rate of inflation you should eat your checkSo you try to make a hustle, to get aheadBut the only thing you manage is to stay in the redCoppin from John, to sell to RexAnd your jones for success has put your life in check
- Captain Obvious: Yellowman tells us in "Roots, Rap, Reggae" that "five plus five, equal to ten".
- Celebrity Is Overrated: "Can You Rock It Like This?" shows that fame comes with a price.News reporters, invade my bordersIf I think it I will say it, you might have a recorderAnd then, UHH-OHH, the nation's in upheavalOld dating always thinking at me evilYou're stepping on my heels, you're breathing down my neckI'm not Rodney Dangerfield, so give me respect
- Chick Magnet: "Can You Rock It Like This?"I got jet-set women, who offer me favorsMy face is a thousand lipstick flavors
- Crapsack World: "It's Not Funny", though its kind of tongue in cheek too. "You're Blind" about people who don't see how fake their lives are.
- Deal with the Devil: Inverted on "King of Rock".And I even made the devil sell me his soul.
- Drugs Are Bad: From "Roots, Rap, Reggae".Don't drink alcohol, don't snort cocaineReggae music is not so strangeKnow the cocaine will hurt up your brain.
- Epic Rocking: "You Talk Too Much", which is a six minute "The Reason You Suck" Speech against talkative people.
- Face on the Cover: The band members, but only the top of their heads is shown until the eyes.
- Fake Ultimate Hero: "You're Blind"You think your style is chill, because you're always coldWith your platform shoes and your fake goldSo you think you're badSheer dynamiteBut if you only knew the crew called you freak's delightWearin the tightest jeans, and shortest skirtYou think you're cold chillin, lookin like a jerkNo matter what you do, come out second rateThinkin you're on time but you're already lateYou're blind
- Motor Mouth: "You Talk Too Much"You talk too much! You never shut up!I said you talk too much, homeboy, you never shut up!
- Neo Classical Punk Zydeco Rockabilly: "King Of Rock" makes use of electric guitar and "Roots, Rap, Reggae" is a reggae song.
- Product Placement: "You Talk Too Much"You're like the Independent Network News on Channel 9.Your mouth is so big, one bite would kill a Big Mac.You told the cavity creeps to watch out for Crest.
No "Calvin Klein", just wearin' "Lee's".
- "Darryl and Joe"
- Pun-Based Title: "Roots, Rap, Reggae" on Bob Marley's song "Roots, Rock, Reggae".
- Questioning Title?: "Can You Rock It Like It This?"
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: "You Talk Too Much", "You're Blind".
- Rock Star Song: "King of Rock".I'm the king of rock, there is none higher
- Rock Trio: "King of Rock"There's three of us, but we're not The Beatles.
You're always spreading rumors, whether bad or goodYou're the damn Walter Cronkite of the neighborhoodThe Barbara Walters, and the Howard CosellYou always come around, with a story to tell
- King 0f Rock has the line: "I'm Run from Run-DMC, like Kool from Kool & the Gang" and "There's three of us, but we're not The Beatles". It also has the line: "It's not Michael Jackson and this is not Thriller, which turned out to be prophetic, because Jackson sampled this song in his own number "2 Bad" (1997).
- You Talk Too Much
I'm not Rodney Dangerfield so give me respect.
- "Darryl and Joe" informs us: "We're not like Dr. Seuss or Mother Goose" and "I got more hats than the Mad Hatter."
- "Roots, Rap, Reggae" is a Pun-Based Title on Bob Marley's song "Roots, Rock, Reggae" from his album Rastaman Vibration (1976).
- Can You Rock It Like This?
- Singer Namedrop: "Jam Master Jammin'"Jam Master is here and you could not wait
- Special Guest:
- Reggae/Dancehall singer Yellowman sings along on "Roots, Rap, Reggae".
- Spelling Song: "King of Rock"People always ask: "DMC, what does it mean?"D's for never dirty, MC for mostly clean.
- Take That!: The music video of "King of Rock" provides a Take That! to white-based rock music history.
- Title Track: Duh.