Kana (香奈), more recently known as Moon Kana (MOON-香奈-, MOON-kana-, ムーン香奈) is a Japanese rock musician/singer, toy designer, model, illustrator/graphic artist, dress designer, and actress who well-known for her appearances in the Gothic & Lolita Bible.
Over the years she has become well known for her ever changing looks. There's arguable description that she is part of the Visual Kei movement, though this is possibly because of her involvement in Lolita.
Born as Kana Uede, (植田佳奈) (26 January 1982) she showed interest in music at an early age, and held her first concert at 16 years old. She is known for her unusual singing style, that seemed to make her voice purposely tone deaf. This usually comes in two styles: One is the nasally kind that she often uses along with her cute garb, and the other being a screechier harsher and deeper kind, usually accompanied by punk / rockish music. Nevertheless, this gained her fans and followers, despite some criticism (usually about her singing, obviously). Her cutesy fashion has, of course, not failed to gain attention, and some fans who go to her concerts cosplay as her. She had more than one trademark look, and there's no telling what she'll look like next.
After seven years of silence, Moon Kana has released a new song, Hoshizukiyo no Hana, on her official YouTube channel on October 3rd, 2021.
Not to be confused with the joshi wrestler Kana.
- [2001.09.21] Doubutsu-teki Ningen
- [2002.09.26] Kikai-teki Ningen
- [2005.02.02] Spade
- [2007.07.03] Tsuki no Usagi (Her name became Moon-kana-)
- [2010.03.27] MOON DRAGON
- [2003.07.23] Ningen-teki Ningen
- [2002.07.24] Kokoro no Mori (a film promo, compilation of Kana's PVs)
Provides examples of:
- Animal-Eared Headband: As seen here◊ in one of her many nice Nice Hats.
- Cute, but Cacophonic: Invoked. Moon Kana purposefully sings out of tune, to the confusion of people who discover her music.
- Cute Little Fangs: Moon Kana sports this. This is quite noticeable in her music video for "Chimame". As a drawing, Kana also draws her with one fang sticking out.
- Everything's Better with Plushies: She frequently features stuffed animals in her music videos and art.
- Gratuitous English: Some of her songs. Her English itself isn't very fluent, but can seem to write Simple English just well, judging from her posts on the internet.
- Gratuitous French: Her album Tsuki no Usagi has some of them in the songs, and they are so gratuitous, not even the French can make anything of it. Mishearings ensued.
- Lighter and Softer: After changing her name from Kana to Moon Kana, her music has taken on a much softer sound with the occasional punk song every now and then. Bunnies have also become a recurring theme in her music and image.
- Nice Hat: Is usually seen sporting these. Since incorporating bunnies in her recent incarnation, she's taken to wearing a fluffy hat with bunny ears.
- Word Salad Lyrics: Try interpreting what most of her songs are about.
- Word Salad Title: A lot of her song titles don't make much sense.