Jennifer Diane "Jenny" Lewis (born January 8, 1976) is an American indie pop/rock/folk musician. She began her career in the 1980s and early 1990s as a child actress (appearing most famously in The Wizard and Troop Beverly Hills); however, she really came to do what she does best when she began her music career as the lead singer of the lo-fi indie rock band Rilo Kiley. A standout of the band, she eventually started a solo career, coinciding with the gradual amicable breakup of Rilo Kiley.
Albums (other than as part of Rilo Kiley):
- Rabbit Fur Coat (2006) (with the Watson Twins)
- Acid Tongue (2008)
- The Voyager (2014)
- On the Line (2019)
Tropes in Jenny Lewis' work:
- Kaleidoscope Eyes: Nancy in "Late Bloomer" had eyes "changing like mood stones."
- Murder Ballad: "Jack Killed Mom" is more or less what it says it is, although Jack didn't mean to kill Mom... (Maybe "manslaughter ballad" would be more accurate.)
- My Biological Clock Is Ticking: Lamented in "Just One of the Guys":There's only one difference between you and me
When I look at myself, all I can see:
I'm just another lady without a baby
- Pretty in Mink: The titular rabbit fur coat of "Rabbit Fur Coat"
- One of the Boys: "Just One of the Guys" is rather a subversion, or at least a discussion: it's about how women really can't be "just one of the guys."