It's Only Rock 'N' Roll is the twelfth studio album (fourteenth American album) by The Rolling Stones, released in 1974. It is their last album with Mick Taylor, who quit shortly after release. However, he would latter appear on Tattoo You on archive tracks. His future replacement Ronnie Wood (at the time a member of the Faces) made some contributions to this album, particularly the Title Track (which is now a classic Stones song).
A fan club dedicated to The Rolling Stones was named after this album.
- "If You Can't Rock Me" (3:46)
- "Ain't Too Proud To Beg" (3:30)
- "It's Only Rock 'N' Roll (But I Like It)" (5:07)
- "Till The Next Goodbye" (4:37)
- "Time Waits For No One" (6:37)
- "Luxury" (5:00)
- "Dance Little Sister" (4:11)
- "If You Really Want To Be My Friend" (6:16)
- "Short And Curlies" (2:43)
- "Fingerprint File" (6:33)
- Mick Jagger - lead vocals, guitar
- Keith Richards - guitar, vocals, bass
- Mick Taylor - guitar, vocals, bass, synthesizer, congas
- Charlie Watts - drums
- Bill Wyman - bass, synthesizer
Till The Next Trope:
- Ain't Too Proud to Beg: There's a song with that title and that exact theme.
- Alliterative Title: "Fingerprint File"
- Break Up Song: "Ain't Too Proud To Beg"I know you wanna leave me, but I refuse to let you goIf I have to beg, plead for sympathyI don't mind 'cause it means that much to me
- Cover Version: "Ain't Too Proud To Beg", a The Temptations cover.
- Dancing Is Serious Business: "Dance Little Sister"Dance, little sister, danceIt make me hot, I wet with sweatIt hurn like hell, I've four hours left
- Design Student's Orgasm: The album cover was designed by Belgian illustrator Guy Peellaert, who also did the cover of David Bowie's Diamond Dogs that same year.
- Desperately Looking for a Purpose in Life: "Time Waits For No One" has the message that life should be enjoyed, for it is short and nobody can stop it.
- Early-Bird Cameo: "It's Only Rock & Roll" features Ron Wood playing guitar, while he was still officially a member of The Faces.
- Epic Rocking: "The 6:37 "Time Waits For No One" and the 6:33 "Fingerprint File".
- Face on the Cover: The band is shown descending stairs.
- Heavy Meta:
The band's on stage and it's one of those nights, oh yeahThe drummer thinks that he is dynamite, oh yeahYou lovely ladies in your leather and laceA thousand lips I would love to tasteI've got one heart and it hurts like hellIf you can't rock me somebody will
- "If You Can't Rock Me"
I said I know it's only rock 'n' roll, but I like it, like it, yes I do
- "It's Only Rock 'N' Roll"
- Henpecked Husband:
If you really want to be my manGet your nails out of my backStop using meYou know I really, really want to be your friendBut just a little faith is all we need
- "If You Really Want To Be My Friend"
It's too bad, she's got you by the ballsYou can't break loose at allShe's got your nameShe's got your numberYou're screamin' like thunderAnd you're trapped like a rat in a hole
- "Short And Curlies"
- Love Bubbles: Sort of. In the music video of "It's Only Rock 'N' Roll (But I Like It)", where the band expresses their love for Rock & Roll, a bubble machine fills the tent where they are playing.
- Misogyny Song: "Short And Curlies".She crashed your carShe spend your moneyAnd you can't get away from it allIt's too bad, she's grabbed a handfulAnd you can't get away from it all
- Mundane Made Awesome: "It's Only Rock 'N' Roll (But I Like It)" about the love for rock 'n' roll, despite it just being that.
- One-Word Title: "Luxury"
- The Power of Rock: "It's Only Rock 'N' Roll (But I Like It)"
- Properly Paranoid: "Fingerprint File" has a paranoid atmosphere, depicting the protagonist being followed and telephone tapped.
- Protest Song: "Fingerprint File" against government surveillance.Feeling followedFeeling taggedCrossing waterTrying to wipe my tracksAnd there's some little jerk in the FBIA keepin' papers on me six feet high
- The Simpsons: In "How I Spent My Strummer Vacation" Homer enlists in a rock summer camp lead by various famous rock stars. When it's over he is depressed, but Jagger cheers him up: "It's only rock 'n' roll camp." To which Homer sobs: "But I like it!"
- Special Guest: David Bowie sang co-lead on the original recording of "It's Only Rock 'N' Roll (But I Like It)", although his vocals were wiped for the finished version.
- Ron Wood and Kenney Jones of The Faces both play on the same song. Kenney was very surprised they left his playing on the finished song, as he thought they would have Charlie Watts re-record the drum parts on the song.
- Spoken Word in Music: "Fingerprint File" ends with Jagger talking to his girlfriend on the telephone, informing her that they are being tapped and expressing his paranoid feelings.
- Take That, Critics!: "It's Only Rock 'N' Roll (But I Like It)" was written as a Take That! to critics claiming that the Stones' albums weren't as good as their last one any-more.If I could dig down deep in my heartFeelings would flood on the pageWould it satisfy ya, would it slide on by ya?Would ya think the boy's insane? He's insaneI said I know it's only rock 'n roll but I like it
- Textless Album Cover: The album cover is just a picture.
- Title Track: "It's Only Rock 'N' Roll (But I Like It)".
- Whispering Ghosts: "Fingerprint File" has Jagger whisper about his fear of being shadowed. It's never made clear in the song whether he might be might be imagining this or not?
- The Workaholic: "Luxury"I'm working so hard to keep you in the luxury, oh yeah