Information Society (a.k.a. InSoc) is an Alternative Dance/Synthpop/Dark Wave/Techno/Industrial/Latin Freestyle/Futurepop band from Minnesota. Best remembered for their incredibly '80s hit, "Pure Energy (What's On Your Mind)", for "Ozar Midrashim", the theme of Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver, a series frontman Kurt Harland would compose.
- Cover Version: An industrial rock version of "Are 'Friends' Electric?" by Tubeway Army appeared on their 1997 album Don't Be Afraid.
- Madness Mantra: "Ending World 1.1"'s lyrics are nothing but these. Between them, the dialogue clips, and the ominous marching instrumentals that steadily degenerate into noise, it's painfully clear just where he's headed.I am absolutely right. I am absolutely certain I am absolutely right. I am absolutely certain I am absolutely right. I am absolutely certain of all the mistakes I've made.
- Peace & Love, Incorporated: "Peace And Love, Inc." is the Trope Namer.
- Sampling: A variation occurs in their synthpop hit "What's On Your Mind (Pure Energy)." The song doesn't sample from an existing musical work, instead using vocal samples of Spock saying things. Also counts as a Shout-Out.
- Something Completely Different: Don't Be Afraid stands out in the band's discogrpahy, taking a more ambient and experimental direction.
- Shout-Out: Quite a few. Besides the aforementioned Star Trek reference, there's also "White Roses," whose lyrics seem to be inspired by Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. Howeverunlike most other songs about Lewis Carroll's booksKurt Harland does not insert any very obvious references to Alice's dreamscape (this song is about depression, not hookah-smoking caterpillars). This makes looking for the connections even more fun. (The line "can't get from here to there" might be a reference to the scene in Through The Looking Glass And What Alice Found There in which the Red Queen explains to Alice how it's often impossible for Looking Glass World's inhabitants to move from one chessboard square to another of their own accord.And you know that her tears were taken
And cooked up for the queen
And every single moment feels like everything is wrong
And everything around you says that this is not your home
And everybody else just seems to be already there
And you can't get from here to there
Without some sort of help you've never seen
It's the white roses
It's a spinning sky
- Step Up to the Microphone: "Running" is sung by Murat Konar instead of by frontman Kurt Harland.