Hey Violet are a pop rock band from America. They are currently signed to Hi or Hey Records, founded by 5 Seconds of Summer, whom Hey Violet have opened for on tours. Their current line up consists of: Rena Lovelis (lead vocals), Nia Lovelis (drums), Casey Moreta (guitar), Iain Shipp (bass).
The group formed in 2008 as Cherri Bomb - originally an all-female Hard Rock band before they became the electro pop/pop rock band they are now. It consisted of four members: Julia Pierce, Miranda Miller, Rena Lovelis, and Nia Lovelis. Cherri Bomb were opening acts for rock bands, including Filter, Foo Fighters, The Smashing Pumpkins, Staind, and Steel Panther.
On January 23, 2013, Pierce left. Casey Moreta joined the band that year to temporarily fill Pierces guitar parts, joining permanently on March 9, 2013.
They changed their name to Hey Violet in 2015 and Iain Shipp officially joined in September 2016. Miller departed on August 31, 2017.
- Rena Lovelis - backing vocals (2008-2013), bass (2008-2016), lead vocals (2013-present)
- Nia Lovelis - drums, percussion, backing vocals (2008-present)
- Casey Moreta - lead guitar (2013-present)
- Iain Shipp - bass, synth bass (2016-present)
- Julia Pierce - lead guitar, lead vocals (2008-2013)
- Miranda Miller - rhythm guitar, keyboards, backing vocals (2008-2017)
- Stark - October 18, 2011 (As Cherri Bomb)
- I Can Feel It - May 15, 2012 (As Cherri Bomb)
- Brand New Moves - August 16, 2016
- From the Outside - June 16, 2017
Tropes Related to Hey Violet:
- Band of Relatives: Type 1, because Rena and Nia are sisters, making them a Sibling Team.
- Cover Version: Hey Violet covered Post Malone's 'Congratulations' at Spotify Records.
- Gender-Equal Ensemble: What they became following Miranda's leaving, with two males and two females remaining.
- Genre Shift: They were a hard-rock band as Cherri Bomb, then changed their image and sound to fit the electro-pop/pop rock they now produce.
- Impossible Hair Colours: Nia's hair used to be a bright red and Rena dyed her hair pink for a long time.
- Lead Bassist: From 2013 to 2015, Rena was the bassist as well as the lead vocalist.
- Likes Older Men: 'Guys My Age' is about dissatisfaction with men around her age, leading her to want to date older men.
- "'Bout to get attention from a grown up'Cause you hold me like a womanIn a way I've never felt before"
- Meaningful Rename: When they changed their name to Hey Violet, they completely rebranded themselves - changing their genre, look, social media etc.
- Mohs Scale of Rock and Metal Hardness: They sit pretty firmly at a 3. As Cherri Bomb, however, they were mostly at a 5-6.
- One-Word Title: 'Creepin', 'Spin', 'Mama', 'Pure', 'Fuqboi', 'Hoodie', 'Unholy', 'Cannibals'.
- Sixth Ranger: Casey and Iain joined in 2013 and 2016 respectively.
- Spelling Song: 'O.D.D' spells out odd"I'm a little O - D - D"
- Step Up to the Microphone: After Pierce left, Rena became the lead vocalist of the band.
- Nia had a song in the limelight: 'Sacrificial Lamb'
- Your Cheating Heart: 'Unholy' is about wanting to sleep with someone while having a boyfriend, the lyrics involve convincing them to help you cheat.
- "Every night, I'm undressing with him and I'm thinking of youYeah, I know it's the wrong thing to do, but I kinda want toSay your name while our tongues are tied"