Sing because you have no choice
Sing until you float away
Our love is like a big blue wave"
Hey Ocean! is a band from Vancouver, Canada. Together they've created a sound that's both unique and extremely catchy to become one of the more popular up & coming indie pop bands in Canada.
They released their first full length album Stop Looking Like Music in 2007 which was followed by Its Easier to Be Somebody Else in 2008, featuring several popular singles such as "Too Soon", "A Song About California", and "Fish". In 2011 they finally released a new EP Big Blue Wave, followed by the full length IS in 2012. The band has become well known in the Canadian music scene for their "do it yourself" work ethic.
Their lead female singer, Ashleigh Ball, also has a notable side job - she's a voice actress for The Ocean Group (no relation) and has voiced the likes of Hansel, Oopsy Bear, Mary Test, Blythe Baxter, Jet Propulsion, and several Barbie and Bratz movies. Currently she's best known as the voices of Applejack & Rainbow Dash in My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic. In fact, the band has gotten a boost in popularity thanks to curious pony fans checking out what else Ashleigh does. Fortunately she seems quite amused by it, and there's nothing wrong with new fans.
- Triceratops (EP) (2004)
- Rainy Day Songs (EP) (2005)
- Stop Looking Like Music (2006)
- It's Easier to Be Somebody Else (2008)
- Big Blue Wave (EP) (2011)
- IS (2012)
- IS Acoustic Sessions (EP) (2013)
- Amsterdam / Can't Let Go (EP) (2017)
- The Hurt of Happiness (2018)
Tropes that apply to this band:
- Album Title Drop: "Liar" does this for Its Easier To Be Somebody Else.
- Break-Up Song: "Beatboxer (Who Broke My Heart)."
- Childhood Friends: Ashleigh Ball and David Beckingham have known each other since grade six.
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin: "A Song About California."
- Male Band, Female Singer: With Ashleigh as the lead vocalist.
- Naked People Are Funny: A while ago on their YouTube page, there used to be a video of the band members completely naked (albeit while using kitchen items as Hand-or-Object Underwear). And yes, that means Applejack/Rainbow Dash as well.
- It's still available to view on Vimeo.
- One-Steve Limit: There are two Davids in the band, Vertesi the bass player is the one that goes by "Dave". Ashleigh is the Odd Name Out.