Bonnie Raitt's sophomore album, 'Give It Up begins in the folk-blues style of her debut before opening up into New Orleans-styled r&b, twenties-style jazz-blues, singer-songwriter soft-rock. A frequently-cited influence on the loosely-defined Americana genre, Give It Up is a contender for the guitarist's masterpiece despite disappointing commercial returns, uncured even after her 1990's breakout.
Give It Up regularly appears in the "1001 Recordings You Must Hear Before You Die" series and resides on #495 of Rolling Stone's great albums list.
- "Give It Up Or Let Me Go" (4:28)
- "Nothing Seems To Matter" (4:03)
- "I Know" (3:51)
- "If You Gotta Make A Fool Out Of Somebody" (2:54)
- "Love Me Like A Man" (3:23)
- "Stayed Too Long At The Fair" (2:54)
- "Under The Falling Sky" (3:38)
- "You Got To Know How" (3:38)
- "You Told Me Baby" (3:43)
- "Love Has No Pride" (3:46)
Tropes have no pride, when I call out their names...
- As the Good Book Says...: "Too Long At The Fair"Jesus cried, wept and diedI guess he went up to heaven(...) Well, you can give my soul to AbrahamGive my soul to Saul
- Break-Up Song:
Well, you come home drunk and nasty, you won't tell me where you've been.Just when things are nice and sweet, you go back out again.Why do you wanna mess up a good thing?I'm gonna find me another man, one who wants to give me everything.
- "Give It Up Or Let Me Go"
I've loved so hard, everything I did was no joyIf I can't love you right, baby, I don't have to love you at all
- "I Know"
- The Cover Changes the Gender: Chris Smither's "Love You Like A Man" becomes "Love Me Like A Man", slightly changing the narration from a boast to a come-on as well.
- Cover Version: Raitt wrote three songs ("Give It Up Or Let Me Go", "Nothing Seems To Matter" and "You Told Me Baby") and a fourth was written for the album by Joel Zoss, leaving six covers out of ten songs.
- Face on the Cover: Maybe someone thought the purple border brought out her eyes?
- Intercourse with You
They all want me to rock themLike my back ain't got no boneI want a man to rock meLike my back bone was his ownDarlin', I know you canBelieve me when I tell youYou can love me like a man
- "Love Me Like A Man"
Technique ain't tough, if you care enoughYou can learn to know howI might drop a hint how to strike my flintIf you yearn to know how
- "You Got To Know How"
- I Will Wait for You: "If You Gotta Make A Fool Of Somebody"Daytime, night timeAny time at allI'll be there waitingAny time you callJust to be near you
- Love Hurts: "Love Has No Pride"But this love hurts me so, I don't care what you say
- The Power of Love: "You Told Me Baby"I know she hurt you,But you know I've been hurt too.You just come to me, we'll seeWhat a love can do.
- Record Producer: Michael Cuscuna.
- Song Style Shift: "Give It Up Or Let Me Go" breaks out of folk-blues about halfway through when the horn section cuts in.
- Special Guest: Paul Butterfield plays harmonica on this album.
- There's No Place Like Home: "Too Long At The Fair"I've been downtown such a long, long timeI'll never make it home by sevenWon't you come & take me home?I've been too long at the fairAnd, lord, I just can't stand it anymore
- Title Track: "Give It Up"Oh honey, if you want me to love youYou've to give it up or let me go
- 12-Bar Blues: "Love Me Like A Man"