5 Seconds of Summer (commonly abbreviated as 5SOS) are a Pop Rock / Pop Punk band from Australia. The group formed in Sydney, Australia, in December 2011, and slowly started to gain an international following. The group really started to take off when they were given a gig as the opening act for One Direction's 2013 "Take Me Home" arena tour. The next year proved to be a huge breakout for them, as they nailed a #1 album in dozens of countries and began to explode in popularity. They re-teamed with 1D for their 2014 "Where We Are" stadium tour and went on their on their first headlining tour, "Rock Out With Your Socks Out" in 2015.
In 2018, 5SOS largely bucked their pop punk style for moody electronic SynthPop rock on 2018's "Youngblood". This Genre Shift carries onto their fourth album, C A L M, received two standalone single releases (Teeth and Easier) in 2019 before being officially announced for release in 2020.
Members of 5 Seconds of Summer include:
- Luke Robert Hemmings (lead vocals) - Born on 16th July 1996 in Sydney, Australia
- Michael Gordon Clifford (guitar, backing vocals) - Born on 20th November 1995 in Sydney, Australia
- Calum Thomas Hood (bass, backing vocals) - Born on 25th January 1996 in Australia
- Ashton Fletcher Irwin (drums, backing vocals) Born on 7th July 1994 in Hornsby, Australia
- Unplugged EP, Somewhere New EPnote (2012)
- She Looks So Perfect EP, Don't Stop EP, Amnesia EP, Good Girls EP (2014)
- 5 Seconds of Summer (2014)
- LiveSOS (2014)
- Sounds Good Feels Good (2015)
- Youngblood (2018)
- Meet You There Tour Live (2018)
- CALM (2020)
I'm just a dead man troping tonight:
- Boy Band: Although they don't like being called this label, given that they were not manufactured, play their own instruments, and write their own music, the media often labels them one due to being in roughly the same age range, their affiliation to 1D, and targeting the same teenage girl demographic that 1D is marketed at. (Then again, most successful pop-punk acts also target the same teenage girl demographic.) All four band members sing on their albums and the marketing doesn't single out one member as the frontman. When the media does single one of them out, it's usually Luke.
- Concept Album: Youngblood is a concept album about the breakdown of a relationship.
- Cover Version: LiveSOS features "What I Like About You", "Teenage Dream" and "American Idiot".
- Four-Temperament Ensemble: Luke is melancholic, Michael is phlegmatic, Calum is sanguine, and Ashton is choleric.
- Good Bad Girl: A line from "Good Girls" provides one of the quotes given on its quote page.She said to me,
"Forget what you thought
'Cause good girls are bad girls that haven't been caught."
- I Can't Believe a Guy Like You Would Notice Me: The protagonist of "End Up Here" shares his friends' surprise when a beautiful girl seeks him out at a party. In fact, the entire song consists of him wondering why.Call me lucky 'cause in the end
I'm a six and she's a ten
She's so fit, I'm insecure
But she keeps coming back for more
How did we end up talking in the first place?
- Initialism Title: C A L M, named after the first letters of each member's name (Calum, Ashton, Luke, Michael)
- Lead Bassist: Subverted. Calum and Ashton do not overshadow Luke. However, since every member of the band sings and each member is given equal consideration in promotion (like a boy band!), they are in the spotlight much more than a pop-punk band's bassist and drummer would normally be.
- Pop Punk: Completely bucking the sound of late 2000s-early 2010s pop-punk bands like Man Overboard, Neck Deep, The Wonder Years, and The Story So Far in favor of a lighthearted throwback 1990s to early 2000s pop-punk acts like All Time Low, Blink182, Good Charlotte, Green Day, Jimmy Eat World, and Fall Out Boy. This difference in sound is part of the reason why you'll either see them heralded as the second coming of pop-punk to the mainstream or the worst thing to ever happen to the genre.
- Spiritual Successor: With 1D owning a large stake in the group and going on hiatus in 2016, many who consider 5SOS a boy band thought them to be the only currently active and internationally popular boy band left standing. And then BTS broke through in the West...
- Was It All a Lie?: Amnesia is a type 2. The narrator was in a genuine relationship that ended badly; he wonders if his ex's easy recovery from it means she never really loved him at all.Sometimes I start to wonder, was it just a lie?
If what we had was real, how could you be fine?