Eiffel 65 are an Italo Disco/Eurodance/Europop band (whose first album is actually Trope Namer for Europop) from Italy consisting of three men: Jeffrey Jey (real name Gianfranco Randone), Maurizio "Mauri" Lobina (known as Apollo pre-Eiffel 65) and Gabriele "Gabry" Ponte. They are probably one of the most popular Eurodance bands out there, despite having only one song that everyone remembers - "Blue (Da Ba Dee)".
It started when Jey (previously singer for another Eurodance band, Bliss Team), Lobina and Ponte met each other at Bliss Corporation, a record label specializing in eurodance. With the help of a computer, which randomly picked one word from a given list, they settled on name Eiffel, but their producer accidentally scribbled number 65 on a label copy while writing down a phone number, and the three decided to roll with it.
They split up in 2005 to let Gabry focus on his solo carrer, and the other two members started a Spiritual Successor band called Bloom 06. The three finally reunited in 2010, and released their first post-reunion song, "Panico"/"Critical", in 2016.
Tropes Used Through The Songs:
- Bizarre Alien Biology: The aliens from "Another Race" are implied to resemble humans. However, they have "one way brains" that make communication impossible. Depending on your interpretation of the lyrics, the alien might be able to "walk on air".
- Bizarre Alien Psychology: The titular aliens in "Another Race" have one way brains that make them impossible to understand. However, they somehow are capable of speech.
- Color Motif: "Blue (Da Ba Dee)"
- Europop: The song of the same name is the Trope Namer.
- Love Triangle: Discussed in "Your Clown". The narrator's Love Interest has been having an affair with another person. However, he refuses to be part of a Love Triangle.
- Lyrical Dissonance: "Deep Down," the closing track to Europop. It's a really upbeat-sounding number...about cybersex.
- Planet of Hats: "Blue (Da Ba Dee)" is about a world where everything is the color blue.
- Rhyming with Itself: In "Move Your Body", the verse repeat the word "body" many times, but this word is rhymed on the entire chorus.
- Shout-Out: "My Console" namedrops the Playstation as well as the games Metal Gear Solid, Tekken 3, Omega Boost, Resident Evil, Winning Eleven, Ridge Racer and Oddworld.
- Spell My Name with an "S":
- "Johnny GRAY" or "Johnny GREY"?note
- In some releases of the album Europop, the song "My Console" was misspelled as "My Consolle". It can be justified as the band is Italian and "consolle" is "console" in Italian.