Grace Martine Tandon (born October 24, 1998), better known by her stage name Daya, is an American pop singer born in Pittsburgh. In 2015, she pursued her music career at age 16 when she was signed to the labels Z Entertainment, Artbeatz and RED Distribution. She released her self-titled debut EP on September 4, 2015. The EP featured her debut single "Hide Away", which would eventually peak at #23 on the Hot 100. She then collaborated as a vocalist on The Chainsmokers' EDM track "Don't Let Me Down", which would move on to become her biggest hit of all time, reaching #3 on the Hot 100 and far outpeaking "Hide Away". Her debut studio album Sit Still, Look Pretty was released on October 7, 2016. In 2017, she left Artbeatz and RED for Interscope Records.
- Daya (Self-titled EP)
- Sit Still, Look Pretty (Debut studio album)
Daya provides examples of:
- Break-Up Song: "Back To Me" is about a guy who broke up with his girlfriend because he only wanted her when his real significant other wasn't around.
- Child Popstar: She was 16 when she released "Hide Away".
- Child Prodigy: She knew how to play the piano at just the age of 3.
- Curse Cut Short: The first line in the pre-chorus of "Hide Away" is: To be fly as a mother. Guess what word was cutoff.
- Gosh Dang It to Heck!: In "Legendary", she sings "Come on boy, hurry up before I don't give a what".
- One-Word Title:
- Her debut studio album has six of these: "Dare", "Legendary", "Thirsty", "Cool", "Talk" and "Words" (ironically).
- Also, her songs, "New", "Safe".
- Precision F-Strike: The chorus of "Got The Feeling" drops the first ever instance of profanity to be heard in her music with the following lyric: "Maybe the reason all this shit keeps on happening/Happening 'cause I like the feeling".
- Product Placement:
- Coca Cola and Gatorade are referenced in "Thirsty".
- Barbie is referenced in "Sit Still, Look Pretty".
- Self-Empowerment Anthem: "Sit Still, Look Pretty" empowers girls to not care about their appearance and worry less about impressing guys.
- Self Titled EP: Daya.
- Title Track: "Sit Still, Look Pretty".