Daughtry is a rock band from North Carolina, USA, named after the lead singer. A fourth-place runner-up of American Idol Season 5, Chris Daughtry decided to form his own band after the show, rejecting Fuel's offer of a lead position.
The band rose to fame with their first single, "It's Not Over", as well as their self-titled debut album. "Daughtry" was produced under the labels of 19 Entertainment and RC Records and stayed at #1 on the Billboard 200 for two weeks straight, making it the number one selling album of 2007 as well as the fastest-selling debut rock album in Soundscan history.
- Daughtry (2006)
- Leave This Town (2009)
- Break the Spell (2011)
- Baptized (2013)
- Cage To Rattle (2018)
- Anti-Love Song:
I'm so addicted to the pain,
- "Break The Spell", of the subliminal variety.
Got your poison running through my veins,
The way you pull me in,
The way you chew me up,
The way you spit me out
- "Traitor" is a hate song.
- Album Title Drop:
Another day, another battle
- The title of their second album 'Leave This Town' Leave' is uttered in the bridge for "September".
- The title of their fifth album is dropped in "Death Of Me":
We all have a cage to rattle
- The Alcoholic: Sarah, the main character of the 'Over You' music video is one. Her drinking problem causes herself and her boyfriend to get in a car crash and the video ends with her seeking help at an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting.
- Bald of Awesome: Chris Daughtry's most well-known look - although he lets his hair grow back in every now and then.
- Be Careful What You Wish For: 'Home'. The song follows the narrator as he looks back at abandoning his old life and deciding to return to it, even Name Dropping the trope.
- Break-Up Song:
It's no surprise. I won't be here tomorrow
- 'Over You' deals with the difficulties of getting over someone.
- "No Surprise": The narrator finally finds the nerve to end the relationship where there is nothing to save.
I can't believe that I stayed 'til today
There's nothing here in this heart left to borrow
There's nothing here in this soul left to save
- Cover Version: "Bring Me to Life".
- Destructive Romance:
This love is killing me,
- "It's Not Over":
But you're the only one.
- "Crawling Back To You", "What Have We Become" are similar.
- "Bad Habits" likens the relationship to, well, bad habits.
- Greatest Hits Album: Had one of these released in 2016 called 'It's Not Over...The Hits So Far'
- Lyrical Dissonance: "Break The Spell", "Battleships".
- Lyric Video: The lyric video for "Waiting For Superman" uses comic book style pop-art.
- Masochism Tango: "Battleships".And I dont wanna fight this war
Bullets coming off our lips
But we stick to our guns and we love like battleships
- New Sound Album: The 'Baptized' album is more poppier and more stripped down than their previously work. This album also added some folk elements to their sound.
- Pep-Talk Song:
We all fall on hard times, you know
Each day is a high climb, you know
Some days your body has to carry on
So you gotta show a little backbone
We keep waiting on a day that never comes and never comes
Too late is not a thing and we just gotta be strong
Love is like a torch that's burning bright
Carry it on, carry it on and you'll see
Fire will shine a light on the darkest side
- Performance Video: The music video for 'Crawling Back To You' is essentially the band performing in an abandoned packing lot.
- Real Men Love Jesus: Chris Daughtry is a practicing Christian.
- The Runner-Up Takes It All: Big time. Daughtry's sold somewhere around 50 million albums worldwide. Taylor Hicks, that season's winner, was dropped by Arista Records after his debut album and hasn't been seen much, if at all, since.
- Self-Titled Album: Their debut album "Daughtry"
- Silly Love Songs: "Crashed", "Supernatural", "Baptized", "High Above The Ground", "I'll Fight", "Just Found Heaven", "As You Are"...
- Shout-Out: The promotional single 'Long Live Rock n Roll' gives a shootout to many classic rock musicians and some of their hit songs.
- Uptown Girl: "High Above The Ground":I'm a small town kid and you're an uptown girl