- "And darlin', you knowyou make me feel so beautiful"—"So Beautiful"
Darren Stanley Hayes (born 8 May 1972) is an Australian singer/songwriter, best known for being the frontman of Savage Garden in the nineties. He has since gone on to have minor success with his solo career.
Growing up in Brisbane, he had a difficult childhood, with an abusive alcoholic father, and being a victim of school bullying. In 1993, at the age of 21, Hayes answered an advertisement Daniel Jones had placed, looking for a vocalist for the band Red Edge. That band didn't last long. Hayes and Jones partnered up, going by Crush, then Bliss, then finally Savage Garden.The band broke up in 2001, after recording two albums. Hayes then went on to a solo career spanning four albums as of 2011.
As a part of Savage Garden[See Savage Garden]
- Spin (2002)
- The Tension and the Spark (2004)
- This Delicate Thing We've Made (2007)
- Secret Codes and Battleships (2011)
- The Cameo / Throw It In!: Janice Dickinson appears in the music video for "On the Verge of Something Wonderful" because she happened to be at the hotel where the video was filmed.
- Concept Album: This Delicate Thing We've Made was based around the idea of time travel.
- Dear John: "Unlovable" was based on a break-up letter that was never sent by Hayes. Subverted in that it was the breakup of a friendship, not a romance.
- Excited Show Title!: This trope is played with by putting the exclamation mark in the middle of the song title: "Pop!ular"
- Fun with Acronyms: The album Secret Codes and Battleships is often referred to as SCABS. More meaning is added if one adds Darren Hayes' name to the acronym- Darren Hayes SCABS. As in, Darren is singing about fresh wounds in his life.
- Greatest Hits Album: Truly Madly Completely
- List Song: "Boy" consists of a list of orders given by a parent to their son."Get a jobTurn it downFind a girlRule the world"
- Self-Titled Album: Savage Garden
- The '80s: "Crush (1980 Me)" is a timecapsule of references to the eighties.Cyndi Lauper, Jackson, Simon Le Bon, I put Eurythmics on, poppin' and lockin' in the U.S.A
- Stalker with a Crush:
"If I have to live without you, Nobody could......I need to be around you, Watchin' you"
- Appears in "Creepin' up on You"
- But it's also subverted. The singer knows they're doing the wrong thing."Creepin' up on you is the wrong thing to do"