Dare to Be Stupid is the third studio album by "Weird Al" Yankovic, which was released in 1985. It contains the song "This Is The Life", which was featured in the Michael Keaton movie Johnny Dangerously. The Title Track would later be used as part of the soundtrack of Transformers: The Movie in 1986.
Holds the distinction of being the first comedy album released on Compact Disc.
- "Like a Surgeon"note
- "Dare to Be Stupid"
- "I Want a New Duck"note
- "One More Minute"
- "George of the Jungle"
- "Slime Creatures from Outer Space"
- "Girls Just Wanna Have Lunch"note
- "This Is the Life"
- "Cable TV"
- "Hooked on Polkas"
Trope to be stupid! Trope to be stupid!
- Affectionate Parody:
- Huey Lewis "murders" Al in a skit parodying a scene from American Psycho for his parody "I Want a New Duck".
- "Like A Surgeon" was actually suggested by Madonna herself after wondering if she would have one of her songs parodied.
- Album Title Drop: "Dare to Be Stupid".
- Breakup Bonfire: From "One More Minute":So I pulled your name out of my rolodexAnd I tore all your pictures in twoAnd I burned down the malt shop where we used to goJust because it reminds me of you...
- Break Up Song: "One More Minute".
- Cover Song: "George of the Jungle", covering the TV theme song. Al had an executive mandate to do a cover, but they never said from where.
- Cut His Heart Out with a Spoon: To himself in "One More Minute".I'd rather spend eternity eating shards of broken glassThan spend one more minute with you[...]I'd rather rip out my intestines with a forkThan watch you going out with other men
- A Date with Rosie Palms: Suggested in the lyrics of "One More Minute" when he's stranded in "the gas station of love" and he has to use "the self-service pumps".
- Disproportionate Retribution: "...and I burned down the malt shop where we used to go/Just because it reminds me of you!"
- Face on the Cover: Al getting a little too close to the camera and making a goofy expression amidst a bunch of random stuff floating in space.
- Filk Song: "Yoda", a parody of The Kinks' "Lola", is one for The Empire Strikes Back.
- Food Songs Are Funny: "Girls Just Want To Have Lunch" is a sort of Self-Parody example, as Al was mandated to do a parody of a Cyndi Lauper and so did it in the laziest way possible.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar:
'Cause I'm stranded all alone
- In "Dare to Be Stupid", there's a reference to Looking For Mr. Goodbar. No, not the candy...
- In "One More Minute":
In the gas station of love
And I have to use the self-service pumps
- Heartbeat Soundtrack: "Like a Surgeon" has a heart monitor as one, which flatlines at the end.
- Hitler Cam: Used in the video for "One More Minute" at the end, where Al rips out 'his' (plastic) heart.
- I Can't Hear You: Used on the last chorus of "Dare To Be Stupid." When the backup singers respond with the title, Al says "Okay, I can hear you now!" In concerts, he'll turn this into an Overly Long Gag where he'll keep saying that he can't hear the audience.
- In the Style of...:
- Medley: "Hooked on Polkas". Songs featured, in order:
- "12th Street Rag" by Euday L. Bowman
- "State of Shock" by The Jacksons (featuring Mick Jagger)
- "Sharp Dressed Man" by ZZ Top
- "What's Love Got to Do With It" by Tina Turner
- "Method of Modern Love" by Daryl Hall and John Oates
- "Owner of a Lonely Heart" by Yes
- "We're Not Gonna Take It" by Twisted Sister
- "99 Luftballons" by Nena
- "Footloose" by Kenny Loggins
- "The Reflex" by Duran Duran
- "Metal Health (Bang Your Head)" by Quiet Riot
- "Relax" by Frankie Goes to Hollywood
- "Ear Booker Polka" by Al Yankovic
- Money Song: "This Is The Life".
- Mouth Screen: The video for "Dare To Be Stupid" featured Al's mouth.
- Off with His Head!: Al's head is seen spinning around inside a microwave in the video for "Dare to Be Stupid".
- Parody Assistance: Madonna asked one of her friends (who was also friends with Al's manager Jay Levey) how long it would be before Al satirized "Like a Virgin", and when Al got word that Madonna wanted him to parody her song, Al recorded "Like a Surgeon" and even listed Madonna's name alongside his on the songwriting credits.
- Record Producer: Rick Derringer.
- Saw "Star Wars" 27 Times: From "Cable TV,"My friends are getting kinda worried,They think I'm turning into some kind of freak.Aw, but they're just jealous, 'cause I've seen Porky's,Twenty-seven times this week.
- "Slime Creatures from Outer Space" includes a line from an SCTV sketch.
- The vinyl of this album has "More Songs About TV and Food" etched into the inner groove.
- "Dare to Be Stupid's" line "You'd better sell some wine before its time" is a parody of Orson Welles's commercials for Paul Masson wines, whose tagline was "We will sell no wine before its time".
- Stylistic Suck: Invoked with "Girls Just Wanna Have Lunch" as a form of Writer Revolt.
- Take That!: "One More Minute" was written to get over an ex, and he rips her picture in the video.
- Title Track: "Dare to Be Stupid". This is also Al's first album to have one.