Daisy May Keeley Coburn (also known as Daisy Dares You, born 27 October 1993) is an English pop and rock Singer-Songwriter from Great Dunmow, Essex, England. Her debut single "Number One Enemy," featuring the rapper Chipmunk, was released in February 2010 after a bidding war resulted in her being signed to Jive Records. The single ultimately peaked at #13 on the charts.
Daisy had been singing, writing songs and playing both guitar and piano from a relatively young age, and modeled her creative output around "alternative" acts such as Nirvana, Courtney Love, Lou Reed, Florence + the Machine, and Bat for Lashes. In late 2007 she played a song she wrote called "Hurt" to her family and friends. In attendance was one Matthew Marston, who invited Daisy over to his house to record with him. She ended up recording the bulk of her demos in in Marston's studio, and Marston became her primary collaborator in songwriting and production.
Before she released Number One Enemy, Daisy had been subject to quite a bit of hype from the press. She received promotional coverage in The Times, The Guardian, and The BBC, where she was compared to everyone from Avril Lavigne to Lily Allen to even Pixie Lott (Perhaps due to their similarities in appearance). She was touted by magazines as a future "style icon" due to her distinctive grungy look and she made countless promotional appearances, both live and in other media such as television, radio and music blogs.
However, the success of her first single did not carry over to her second single, entitled "Rosie". The song failed to chart and since the single's release nothing has been said about what was to be her debut album (entitled Rush) or her music career in general.
She now works as a model and a DJ and in 2011 did shoots for Vogue Japan and 1883 Magazine.
This musician displays examples of:
- Annoying Younger Sibling: "Number One Enemy" is about the fights Daisy has with her younger sister Scarlet. Scarlet even gets a name drop during Chipmunk's rap in the song.
- Auto-Tune: Both the released version of "Number One Enemy" and "Rosie" feature it in spades. However, the demo of "Number One Enemy" (featuring J2K in place of Chipmunk) is auto-tune free.
- Berserk Button: Regarding comparisons to Avril Lavigne:"Just because I'm female and young they have to put you in a box. Frankly, anyone who says I was influenced by Avril Lavigne can get stuffed".
"I might be young, but I'm really not some blond little dolly girl... and I'm not gonna be a helpless artist."
- Regarding comparisons to Pixie Lott:
"Im getting a little sick of the artists Im compared with... not naming any names."
- And to comparisons in general:
- Break Up Song: The leaked demo "Next Few Minutes".
- Cover Version: Her debut album was to contain a cover of "Who Will Buy" from Oliver!.
- Development Hell: Her debut album, Rush, was supposed to have been released in June 2010. As of 2012 there has been no sign of its development or impending release date, indicating that it's been shelved.
- Emo Teen
- The Fashionista: Considering she was meeting with fashion houses at the start of her career, featured prominently in style magazines and is now working as a model, she most definitely is one.
- Hidden Depths:"I like to bake cakes. And make jam."
- "I Am" Song: "Daisy Dares You".
- Indecipherable Lyrics: Usually caused by overproduction and her... distinct style of singing.
- Keep Circulating the Tapes: Many tracks from Rush were leaked online throughout 2009 and 2010, which was probably one of the reasons for the album's undoing.
- Named After Somebody Famous: The name 'Daisy Dares You' derives from a character in the children's TV show Zzap!
- One-Hit Wonder: With Number One Enemy, unfortunately.
- Pep-Talk Song: "Rosie", "You'll Be Fine".
- Scary Musician, Harmless Music
- She's Got Legs: A factor that may have contributed to the comparisons between Daisy and Pixie Lott is her love of short-shorts.
- Surreal Music Video: "Number One Enemy", despite being about warring siblings, revolves around Alice in Wonderland-type narrative.
- Synthpop: Daisy was one of many British electropop singers and groups to debut in 2009-2010. Some others included Little Boots, Marina & the Diamonds, Frankmusik and La Roux.
- Unkempt Beauty: Has shades of this in her style and image.
- A Wild Rapper Appears!: Chipmunk appears out of nowhere to do his verse in "Number One Enemy", and when he is finished the song continues as though uninterrupted.