The band had its inception in a meeting between Martin and Mark Jackson and Ian Scott in 2013, who brought Zac Morris to the band and suggested modifications to the song "After Midnight" (originally a piano ballad) that resulted in a signature sound mixing old-school metal rock with tones of Southern blues. Many of DOROTHY's songs have the beat and repetition of Afro-American spirituals but are lyrically anything but, combining well with Martin's raspy singing voice. They came in at #14 on Rolling Stone's 50 Best New Artists of 2014.
- Dorothy (EP, 2014)
- ROCKISDEAD (2016)
- 28 Days in the Valley (2018)
Tropes in DOROTHY's music or performances:
- All Drummers Are Animals: Jason Ganberg can be... a little wild◊.
- Hard-Drinking Party Girl: Martin was this for a while before landing herself in the hospital with alcohol poisoning. She's since cleaned up her act and no longer drinks.
- Lighterand Softer: Their second album 28 Days in the Valley is this, with Martin saying it has a "more feminine energy... It has a lighter and brighter feel, with less metal influence and more Stones. It has a cool desert vibe."
- Mohs Scale of Rock and Metal Hardness: About a 4-7, depending on the song.
- Male Band, Female Singer: The band is named for lead singer Dorothy Martin but the other members are male.
- Ms. Fanservice: Actually played with. Dorothy often appears on stage wearing a sleeveless T-shirt that leaves a black lace bra visible through the arm holes, but according to her (from an LA Times interview):"I don't care if you think I'm hot or not, or want me to take my shirt off. I'm not going to. I'm going to grab the microphone and sing. That's what I came to do."
- Oral Fixation: A lot of the imagery around the band has a laser-focus on Dorothy Martin's bright red lips, including the cover art for the EP and first album and the music video for "Get Up".
- Precision F-Strike: In "Missile": "You're fucking with the wrong wolf, baby" and "You're fucking with a sickness, baby".
- Shout-Out: Martin consistently gives a holler out to Halestorm during live performances for launching them on the 2016 Into the Wild Life tour.