ClariS (formerly known as Clara Alice) is a J-pop duo of high school students. Originally they posted covers of songs in Nico Nico Douga since 2009, but their voices attracted the attention of Vocaloid music producer kz, who wrote a few songs for them. In 2010 they became major and their first single "irony" was used as the opening for Oreimo. Since then, their popularity has grown significantly, spawning even their own Nendoroid figures.One characteristic of this group is that their members, being minors and all, have never shown their face to the public. Thus, in their singles they're represented by illustrations by popular anime artists (the one pictured at the left was drawn by Hiro Kanzaki, the artist for Oreimo, for "irony"'s cover).
In 2014 Alice left the duo to focus on her studies, being replaced by a new vocalist called Karen.
ClariS's current releases:
- "Drop/Kimi no Mune wo Miyou" (2010)
- "irony" (2010), Oreimo opening
- "Connect" (2011), Puella Magi Madoka Magica opening
- "nexus" (2011), Oreimo 's novel main theme
- "Naisho no Hanashi" (2012), Nisemonogatari ending
- "Wake Up" (2012), Moyashimon Returns opening
- "Luminous" (2012), Puella Magi Madoka Magica first movie opening
- "Reunion" (2013), Oreimo. opening
- "Colorful" (2013), Puella Magi Madoka Magica third movie opening
- "Click" (2014), Nisekoi opening
- "Step" (2014)
- "Clear Sky" (2014)
- "Border" (2015), Tsukimonogatari opening (first single featuring Karen)
- "Hitorigoto" (2017), Eromanga Sensei opening
- "CheerS" (2018), Cells at Work! ending
- "Birthday" (2012)
- "Second Story" (2013)
- "Party Time" (2014) (Last release with Alice)
Tropes pertaining to Claris:
- Anime Theme Song: Several, as seen above.
- Art Shift: Due to their art being drawn by different artists. In their Clara Alice era, they were represented by redjuice illustrations. After they became big, they've been drawn by Hiro Kanzaki, Ume Aoki, Akio Watanabe and the Madoka Magica animators.
- Artifact Title: Since Alice is no longer in the group, the name "ClariS", a portmanteau of "Clara" and "Alice", is artifactual.
- Closet Otaku: Both are. This is one of the reasons they don't want to show their faces.
- Colour-Coded for Your Convenience: Clara is pink, Alice and Karen are blue.
- Cover Version: Some of their covers from their NND era include K-On! endings, A Certain Scientific Railgun openings and several Miku songs.
- Hair Decorations: The moon and sun-shaped clips they wear in numerous art.
- Meaningful Name: ClariS is supposed to be both a portmanteau of Clara and Alice's name and the Latin word for luminous (which would actually be "clarus")
- Symbol Motif Clothing: Clara wears moon motifs, Alice wears sun motifs, and Karen uses star motifs.