Chelsea Joy Wolfe (born November 14, 1983) is a singer-songwriter from Sacramento, California, who describes her music as "drone-metal-art-folk." She covers a wide variety of genres with her music, incorporating varying degrees of folk, electronic, alternative rock, and heavy metal into her songs, and each album she puts out tends to be a New Sound Album. Her songs have been featured in car commercials, as well as trailers for Game of Thrones, The Killing, and Fear the Walking Dead.
- The Grime and The Glow (2010)
- Apokalypsis (2011)
- Unknown Rooms: A Collection of Acoustic Songs (2012)
- Pain Is Beauty (2013)
- Abyss (2015)
- Hiss Spun (2017)
- Album Intro Track: "Primal/Carnal" on Apokalypsis.
- Awesome Mc Coolname: Even better since it's not a stage name.
- Broken Record: The lyric 'I remember everything you said' from "Sunstorm"
- Careful with That Axe: Apokalypsis opens with some unsettling screams.
- Cover Version: Of "You Are My Sunshine", which was featured in a trailer for the 3rd season of AMC's The Killing.
- Darker and Edgier: While her music was always very dark, her album Abyss is easily her heaviest, taking influences from Industrial Metal, Doom Metal, and Noise Rock. Hiss Spun is even heavier, featuring prominent influence from Neurosis, among other things.
- Drone of Dread: Quite frequent in her more electronic work. "Through the Forest, Towards the Sea" is nothing but this.
- Echoing Acoustics: Her vocals tend to be mixed this way.
- Fang Thpeak: Chelsea's speech is slurred in "Color of Blood" from the Abyss album, giving this effect.
- Hell Is That Noise: The horn-like noises in "Scrape".
- Genre-Busting: She combines elements of folk, industrial, goth rock, and doom metal into a difficult to classify but very cohesive mix.
- Goth Rock: A definite influence on her style and aesthetic.
- Harsh Vocals: "Vex" features some death growls near the end, performed by Aaron Turner of Isis.
- Perky Goth: Chelsea herself definitely qualifies.
- New Sound Album: Unknown Rooms is an acoustic folk album, in contrast to the predominantly heavier sound of the previous two albums.
- Raven Hair, Ivory Skin: Her general appearance.
- Title-Only Chorus: "Demons," although the original recording was entitled "Bounce House Demons," making it two-thirds of a Non-Appearing Title.