Carter Burwell (born November 18, 1955) is a composer who studied piano and played in several bands before making his film scoring debut with Blood Simple.. In addition to working with The Coen Brothers ever since, he's worked with - among others - Spike Jonze (Being John Malkovich, Adaptation., Where the Wild Things Are), David E. Kelley (Mystery, Alaska), David Mamet (The Spanish Prisoner), and Simon West (The General's Daughter, which was his most successful film at the box office until Twilight).
Burwell won an Emmy for scoring Part 5 of Mildred Pierce (one of his very few television projects, most of which have been for HBO - he also scored And The Band Played On and the pilot for Enlightened) and was nominated for the miniseries theme as well.
Among the films scored by Carter Burwell:
- Almost every movie by The Coen Brothers (in the case of O Brother, Where Art Thou?, this is supplemental to the folk music) - Inside Llewyn Davis (which has no original score) is the only exception to date.
- And the Band Played On
- A Knight's Tale
- Before the Devil Knows You're Dead
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer (note that's the film, not the much-more-popular TV show - Burwell rarely does television)
- Doc Hollywood
- A Goofy Movie (with Don Davis)
- Being John Malkovich
- Where the Wild Things Are
- The Blind Side
- The Rookie
- Twilight (and the two-part adaptation of Breaking Dawn)
- In Bruges
- Wayne's World 2 (to his regret - it isn't even mentioned on his site)
- The Fifth Estate