brokeNCYDE are a band from New Mexico, generally regarded as the main band of the genre of Crunkcore, which mixes together Screamo, Crunk, and Electronic Music; if you've heard a crunkcore band, chances are it's these guys.
The band was formed in 2006 by members Se7en and Mikl. They apparently named the band "Brokencyde" after coming up with an idea that the band's music was "fundamentally broken inside". They were later joined by members Phat-J and Antz. In 2008, they released their BC13 EP, and in 2009 they released their debut album, I'm Not a Fan...But the Kids Like It!, which was universally panned by critics (as well as the band's Hatedom, which is often said to be larger than their actual fandom).
- Se7en - screams, rapping
- Mikl - clean vocals
- Phat J - synths, guitars, beats, backing vocals
- Antz - beats, fog machine, lights, backing vocals
- several EPs and mixtapes
- I'm Not a Fan...But the Kids Like It!, 2009
- Will Never Die, 2010
- Guilty Pleasure, 2011
- All Grown Up, 2016
Brokencyde provide examples of:
- Artifact Title: The band's name, which means "broken inside", is a remnant from their more pensive beginnings.
- Distaff Counterpart: To crunkcore Girl Group Millionaires. They're actually friends with each other and have toured together on several occasions as well.
- Early-Installment Weirdness: Their first release, The Broken, sounds like a different band entirely. The music is softer, there's a lot more rapping, and the lyrics are more downbeat and personal than the hedonistic songs that the band are now known for.
- Emo Teen: Earlier days anyway. But for the most part, they lean towards the "Scene" fashion, still keeping the "emo swoop" bangs, piercings and tattoos, while wearing bright and fashionable kinds of clothes.
- Fight Fur Your Right to Party: The band's sort-of mascot Bree-Bree, who appears in the videos as someone in a pig fursuit. There was also a bear in the "Teach Me How to Scream" video.
- Girl on Girl Is Hot: "Freaxxx" opens with the band looking at two women making out and having sex in the club. Despite this, a line later in the song claims that they "don't waste time with lesbians".
- Indecisive Parody: They have claimed to be a parody in the past but now insist that they're totally serious about what they do. Add to the self awareness they have about their divisiveness and things just get even more confusing.
- Lampshade Hanging: The name of their first album (well, the first one that counts) is I'm Not a Fan, But the Kids Like It! And then there's "Guilty Pleasure"...
- Xtreme Kool Letterz:
- The band's name is "broken inside" but spelled oddly.
- One of their most popular songs is called "FreaXx".