Blue Cheer was an American Psych-Blues band from San Francisco, active from the late 1960s until 2009, when longtime member Dickie Peterson died of prostate cancer. Their first album, Vincebus Eruptum, was a major influence on Heavy Metal music, with its thick guitar assaults.
Their work provides examples of:
- Canis Latinicus: Vincebus Eruptum is a nonexistent Latin phrase. Explanation
- Cover Version:
- Letting the Air Out of the Band: Inverted with their cover of "Satisfaction", which slowly starts up then goes into the usual Cheer overdrive.
- Heavy Metal: A major influence on the genre, in fact, some consider them to be one of the very first heavy metal bands.
- Rock Trio: During their first two albums and parts of the third.
- Trope Maker: Of Heavy Psych, a subgenre of Psychedelic Rock, that relied on Epic Rocking and thick guitar assaults. It served as a historical link between 60s rock and metal music.