Blackbear (born Matthew Tyler Musto, November 27, 1990), is an American r&b singer, rapper, songwriter, and record producer.
He has been professionally producing music since 2006 with a rock band called Polaroid. By 2008 he had dropped out of high school and left his old band to go to Atlanta and work with Ne-Yo. He produced several songs throughout the next few years. By 2011 he had decided on using the pseudonym "Blackbear". In 2014, he became one of the first indie artists to monetize streaming on Sound Cloud. Blackbear released his first full-length album, "Deadroses", on February 14, 2015.
Blackbear is a member of the alternative hip-hop duo "Mansionz", alongside Mike Posner. Amongst the songs he's helped produce is Justin Bieber's "Boyfriend" , which he co-wrote alongside Mike Posner as well. Blackbear has collaborated with various musical acts throughout his musical career including Linkin Park, Gucci Mane, Tinashe, Machine Gun Kelly, Tiny Meat Gang, G-Eazy and All Time Low.
- Deadroses (2015)
- Help (2015)
- Digital Druglord (2017)
- Cybersex (2017)
- Anonymous (2019)
- Everything Means Nothing (2020)
Blackbear's music Provides Examples of the Folloing Tropes
- all lowercase letters:
- His name is stylized as "blackbear".
- Some of his songs have titles like this, such as "idfc".
- Author Appeal: Many of his songs are about drug usage and messy break-ups.
- Break-Up Song: A lot of his songs are about break-ups and exes. Examples include "idfc", "do re mi", "I Needed You", and "Dead To Me".
- The Insomniac: "I Needed You" features drug-induced insomnia. More specifically, not having slept in three days due to cocaine.