Big Pun(isher), born Christopher Lee Carlos Rios (November 10, 1971February 7, 2000), was a black Latino rapper. Based mostly in the Bronx, the black Puerto Rican released three main albums, only one of which came out before his death. He is noted for having a very direct, clear and commanding delivery along with clever and often intimidating lyrics. Despite being morbidly obese (which ultimately lead to his demise), he was capable of long, seemingly breathless performances.
Tropes Big Pun utilized in his works:
- Acrofatic: "400 pounds/but I move fast"
- Badass Boastful Rap: Most of his songs.
- The Bible: Despite being a "lapsed" Catholic, some of his tracks have Biblical references.
- The Cameo: Snoop Dogg shows up in the music video for "Twinz (Deep Cover '98)", this is due to the original "Deep Cover" by Dr. Dre being Snoop Dogg's first major appearance on a song.
- Comedic Sociopathy: "Nigga Shit" and "We Don't Care".
- Damn, It Feels Good to Be a Gangster!: Deconstructed in "Boomerang".
- For the Evulz
- Gangsta Rap: Big Pun has a lot of stories about thuggin' in the "South Boogie"
- Horrorcore: Leatherface. He also likes to rap about chainsaw attacks in many of his songs and considers himself "Charles Manson in the flesh".
- Motor Mouth: An excellent example is his famous "Dead in the middle of Little Italy..." line in "Twinz (Deep Cover '98)".
- Rags to Riches: Detailed in "The Glamour Life".
- Rock Me, Amadeus!!: A fairly subtle example, but the main riff in "The Dream Shatterer" is sampled from the opening riff of Ride of the Valkyries.
Niggas is hard as hell, but they Gargamels, picking on the smallest victim 'cos I'm hard to kill
- His stage name to the Marvel Comics character Frank "Punisher" Castle. Lampshaded in a sketch in which children describe Frank as a "7-foot Terminator nigga" and X-Men as "baby stuff holmes".
- Also to Scarface, Kurt Kobain, the film "Casino" and others.
- "Beware" proves that Big Pun may be the only rapper that could make a reference to The Smurfs sound menacing:
- Title-Only Chorus: "Nigga Shit".