Bloody foam spews from your mouth
Smell the putrid stench of flesh
As it burns you to your death
- Charred Remains
One of the pioneering bands in Death Metal, Autopsy was formed by Chris Reifert, the former drummer for Death. They're known for being co-Trope Codifiers for several facets of Death Metal alongside bands like Possessed and Death such as gruesome album art, Harsh Vocals, and lyrics relating to death and gore. They're also notorious for changing sounds once an album and founder Reifert's numerous side projects. They've been noted as an influence in many death metal bands, including Cannibal Corpse and Deicide. They broke up in 1995 for some of the members to start a new band called Abscess but reformed for live shows in 2009, and are back to recording as of 2011.
- Severed Survival - 1989
- Mental Funeral - 1991
- Acts of the Unspeakable - 1992
- Shitfun - 1995
- Macabre Eternal - 2011
- The Headless Ritual - 2013
- Tourniquets, Hacksaws, & Graves - 2014
- Skull Grinder - 2015
- Chris Reifert - Drums and Vocals (1987 - Present)
- Danny Coralles - Guitar (1987 - Present)
- Eric Cutler - Guitar (1987 - Present)
- Joe Trevisano - Bass (2010 - Present)
Autopsy provides examples of the following tropes:
- Contemptible Cover: All of them, to an extent. Shitfun is notable in that it shows coprophilia rather than the Gorn album art of the others
- Epic Rocking: Their 2011 album, Macabre Eternal, has Sadistic Gratification, which lasts 11 minutes long.
- Harsh Vocals: Reifert's vocals have always been mix between a scream and a guttural howl.
- I Am the Band: While three quarters of the band have been present since the inception of Autopsy, Reifert is both the face and main creative force in the band.
- Long Runner Lineup: Even counting the break from 1995-2009, everybody but the bassist has remained constant for the entire life of the band.
- Mohs Scale of Rock and Metal Hardness: Hovers around 10.
- New Sound Album: Constantly. The debut Severed Survival was fast and thrashy, while Mental Funeral was much more slow and doomy, and has had the largest lasting impact on the genre. Third album Acts of the Unspeakable moved more in the direction of Grindcore and Shitfun was basically Hardcore Punk. This move caused the formation of Abscess, which was a continuation of the same sound.
- Nobody Loves the Bassist: All of the former members of Autopsy have been bassists.
- Start My Own: Chris Reifert formed Autopsy, following the release of Death's debut, Scream Bloody Gore.