Amerie Mi Marie Rogers (born January 12, 1980) is an American R&B music artist as well as model and occasional actress. She debuted in 2002 with her sleeper hit single "Why Don't We Fall in Love" and the subsequent album All I Have. In 2004, she acted alongside Katie Holmes in the film First Daughter and released her follow up album Touch in 2005, which included the single "1 Thing", her biggest hit to date. 2007 saw her experimenting with 80s-inspired new wave and pop with her album ''Because I Love It'', which included the international singles "Take Control" and "Gotta Work". In 2009, she released her fourth album In Love and War, in which she incorporated 90s-inspired R&B and hip-hop, and elements of soft rock. She plans on releasing her fifth album Cymatika Vol. 1 in the future, where she will explore acid house, trance, new wave, and electronica. This album will include the yet-to-be-released single "Outside Your Body".
Her music is known for including go-go beats, percussion, gorgeous harmonies and aggressive vocals. Her albums have generally been well-received by critics.
- All I Have (2002)
- Touch (2005)
- Because I Love It (2007)
- In Love and War (2009)
She has collaborated or have had her songs remixed by several rappers, including but not limited to: Nas, Ludacris, Royce da 5'9, Fabulous and Jay-Z. She also collaborated with Asian pop artists such as Se7en and 4 Minutes, and has expressed interest in working with K-pop artists again in the future.
This musician shows examples of:
- Aerith and Bob: Her last name (Rogers) is relevantly common in comparison to her exotic first name. Also applies to her parents (Mi Suk and Joe).
- Album Title Drop: From Gotta Work: "I do it because I love it!"
- Bawdy Song: "Touch".
- Break-Up Song: A lot of In Love and War is this. "Streets Alone" from Because I Love It is a particularly dark version of this trope.
- But Not Too Black: She was born to an African American father and a Korean mother.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: She is interested in the occult and has said that if she wasn't singing, she would be exploring ancient ruins and hunting ghosts. Also talks about how human beings are just "spirits with bodies" and that we are all essentially the same.
- Concept Album: Cymatika.
- Dream Team: Her work with producer Rich Harrison.
- Fan Disservice: Her decision to dye her hair blonde. She has since returned to having dark hair.
- Funk: "Take Control".
- God-Is-Love Songs: "All Roads".
- Huge Guy, Tiny Girl: Her husband practically towers over her.
- Intercourse with You: "That's What U R", "Touch", "Need You Tonight" and a few others. "1 Thing" could be about this as well, depending on your interpretation.
- It Will Never Catch On: Her record company held this attitude concerning 1 Thing. It wasn't until Amerie leaked the track to radio stations herself and it started to receive airplay that her label finally started to back the project (if mildly).
- Let's Duet: With Trey Songz in "Pretty Brown" and Carl Thomas in "Can We Go".
- Morality Ballad: "All Roads" is about how God remains with you through all of your troubles.
- Ms. Fanservice: She is this in some of her videos, particularly 1 Thing and Touch. Her legs also definitely solified this trope for her.
- New Sound Album: Because I Love It and Cymatika.
- Sampling: "1 Thing" is based on a sample from New Orleanian funk band The Meters' cover of "Oh! Calcutta".
- Self-Backing Vocalist: 95% of her music is this. Usually to fantastic results.
- She's Got Legs: Ooooooooooooooooooooh yes!◊
- Silly Love Songs: The gist of her first album.
- Smarter Than You Look: People are surprised to learn that she writes all of her own music and has co-produced several of her albums.
- Three Minutes of Writhing: She loves to dance around in really (really) tiny shorts, namely in 1 Thing and Gotta Work.
- Title-Only Chorus: "Why Don't We Fall in Love", "Tell Me You Love Me", "Love's Off the Chain", among others
- Ugly Guy, Hot Wife: How some fans view her marriage to Len Nicholson (who also happens to be her manager).
- Who Wears Short Shorts?: In a lot of her music videos, most most notably "One Thing" and "Gotta Work".
- Xtreme Kool Letterz: Many of her song titles are spelled this way ("Why R U", "That's What U R", "Losing U", "Hate 2 Love U", etc).