After Hours is a 1961 album by American jazz vocalist Sarah Vaughan. The album was released in 1961, while Vaughan was under contract to Roulette Records. After Hours is notable for its bare-bones arrangements. Vaughan, guitarist Mundell Lowe and standup bassist George Duvivier are the only musicians on the album.
In 2001 NPR included After Hours in their Basic Jazz Record Library.
- "My Favorite Things" - 2:46
- "Ev'ry Time We Say Goodbye" - 2:26
- "Wonder Why" - 4:21
- "You'd Be So Easy to Love" - 2:12
- "Sophisticated Lady" - 3:52
- "Great Day" - 2:18
- "Ill Wind" - 3:13
- "If Love Is Good to Me" - 2:12
- "In a Sentimental Mood" - 4:06
- "Vanity" - 4:19
- "Through the Years" - 3:09
Ev'ry time we trope goodbye:
- Alliterative Title: "Wonder Why"
- Beneath the Mask: "Vanity"They call it vanity because I'd rather be
All by myself instead of laughing with the crowd
If I don't care to be part of their gaiety
They often say to me, "Don't be so proud"
But how are they to know
I'm looking high and low
For love that used to be my own
I never even glance
When offered new romance
I can't because I'm yours alone.
- Cover Version: A given, since this is a standards album. "My Favorite Things" is from The Sound of Music, for one.
- Face Framed in Shadow: The spotlight on the cover leaves a good part of Sassy's face in shadow.
- Face on the Cover: A dramatically lit Sassy singing into the microphone.
- Gospel Music: "Great Day" has elements of this, and the lyrics mention the angel Gabriel.
- Gray Rain of Depression: "Ill Wind".Go ill wind, go away, skies are oh, so gray
Around my neighborhood and that's no good.
- List Song: "My Favorite Things" is a list of the obvious.
- Minimalism: As mentioned above, this is jazz reduced to only voice and two instruments.
- Mother Nature: Gets a mention on "If Love Is Good to Me"
- One-Woman Song: "Sophisticated Lady"
- One-Word Title: "Vanity"
- Pep-Talk Song: "Great Day".When youre down and out
Lift up your head and shout
Theres gonna be a great day.
- Something About a Rose: "In a Sentimental Mood".Rose petals seem to fall
It's all like a dream to call you mine.