(Front center: Hongjoong, Back (L-R): Yeosang, Mingi, Wooyoung, Seonghwa, San, Yunho, Jongho
ATEEZ (Korean: 에이티즈), ATZ for short, is an eight-member South Korean boy band that debuted on October 24, 2018 under KQ Entertainment with the EP Treasure EP.1: All to Zero.
open/close all folders
- Seonghwa (Park Seong-hwa, born April 3, 1998) Vocalist
- Hongjoong (Kim Hong-joong, born November 7, 1998) - Leader, Lead Rapper, Vocalist, Center, Composer
- Yunho (Jeong Yun-ho, born March 23, 1999) - Main Dancer, Vocalist
- Yeosang (Kang Yeo-sang, born June 15, 1999) Lead Dancer, Vocalist, Visual
- San (Choi San, born July 10, 1999) Main Dancer, Lead Vocalist
- Mingi (Song Min-gi, born August 9, 1999) Main Rapper, Lead Dancer
- Wooyoung (Jung Woo-young, born November 26, 1999) Main Dancer, Vocalist
- Jongho (Choi Jong-ho, born October 12, 2000) Main Vocalist, Maknae
- TREASURE EP.1: All To Zero (Korean mini-album, 2018)
- TREASURE EP.2: Zero To One (Korean mini-album, 2019)
- TREASURE EP.3: One To All (Korean mini-album, 2019)
- TREASURE EP.Fin: All To Action (Korean studio album, 2019)
- TREASURE EP. EXTRA: Shift The Map (Japanese studio album, 2019)
- TREASURE EP. EXTRA: Shift The Map (Remixx!) (Japanese remix album, 2019)
- TREASURE Epilogue: Action To Answer (Korean mini-album, 2020)
- TREASURE Ep.Map to Answer (Japanese mini-album, 2020)
- ZERO: FEVER Part.1 (Korean mini-album, 2020)
- ZERO: FEVER Part.2 (Korean mini-album, 2021)
- Into the A to Z (Japanese studio album, 2021)
- DREAMERS (Japanese single album, 2021)
- Season Songs (Collaboration album with Kim Jong-kook of TURBO, 2021)
- ZERO: FEVER Part.3 (Korean mini-album, 2021)
ATEEZ provides examples of the following tropes:
Band and Members Tropes
- Aerith and Bob: In Salary Lupin, they give themselves the English names Song, Fangs, Leptit, Mouthpiece, San-Marie, Modern Seoul Gracias (MSG for short)... and John.
- Affectionate Nickname:
- Seonghwa is called Mars, Angry Bird, Hwaseong (Mars in Korean), or Toothless.
- Hongjoong's nicknames are Hong-leader and Mini-Hong. Mingi has also called him Korean Big Minion.
- Yunho is often referred to as Yunhogizer or Golden Retriever.
- Yeosang has Speaker of Facts and Hehet-mon (a cartoon character he created) as his nicknames. Seonghwa also likes to call him Sangie.
- San's nicknames are Sanjook, Sani, San-ranghae, Mountain, and Fuji San (San means mountain in Korean).
- Mingi is commonly called Mingki and Pinki. Fans often called him Princess in the past, but nowadays he doesn't like being called that anymore.
- Wooyoung has Shiba as his nickname. San also likes to call him Young-ah.
- Jongho's nicknames are Teddy Bear, Apple and Power Jongho.
- Annoying Younger Sibling: Wooyoung is this to everyone. Sometimes San and Jongho jump in to join the fun too.
- The Baby of the Bunch: Jongho.
- Badass Adorable: So much for Jongho. He doesn't look muscular, but he can break apples, oranges, melons and watermelons in perfect halves using bare hands.
- He can even break apples using one hand!
- He can also deadlift his members. Notable subjects of this exercise include Seonghwa, Hongjoong, and San (who perches atop his back as he does push-ups)
- Bare Your Midriff:
- Downplayed with Seonghwa in the "INCEPTION" stage performances. His wardrobe consisted of shirts that just reach his belly button, but his killing part has him lift them up to show off his abs.
- San plays this trope straight for "Fireworks (I'm The One)" promotions, frequeuntly wearing short tops that expose his defined abs.
- Also downplayed with Yeosang in the MV for "Deja Vu", where he wears a shirt that reaches his belly button and lifts it up to show his abs (and his belly chain).
- Befriending the Enemy: They were supposed to be rivals to ONEUS during a Weekly Idol episode, but they befriend each other faster than the MCs could really set this up. This to the point that Keonhee gives his crisps to ATEEZ first, before his own members.
- Berserk Button: Seonghwa whenever the other members think about messing his things up. A place for everything and everything in its place, folks.
- Big Brother Bully: Hongjoong tends to be one to Mingi. They have been nicknamed the Tom and Jerry of ATEEZ.
- Defied when it comes to actual oldest brother Seonghwa.
Q: What is your role in the team?
Seonghwa: Victim. (I get teased a lot.)
- Big Brother Mentor: Hongjoong is this to Yeosang (music composition) and Wooyoung (music recording and producing)
- Big Brother Worship: Seonghwa is this to San while Hongjoong is this to Yunho and Wooyoung.
- Big Eater: Can be seen on the Weekly Idol episode with ONEUS. While ONEUS members were shocked about the strengths of Jongho and their own member Leedo, ATEEZ just dashed for the watermelons that Jongho and Leedo just broke.
- Wooyoung bragged that their team has an unlimited budget for food, an uncommon trait among idol groups as most idols are expected to diet and maintain their figures for their career.
- On their second full group episode on Weekly Idol, they lost two games and therefore couldn't have the best feast according to the rules set by the hosts, but they're willing to bet all or nothing on Mingi's single game for it. They succeeded.
- Bishounen: Yeosang and Seonghwa in particular.
- Most of ATEEZ are this, and they tell each other just as much. They are generous with compliments of each other when it matters. When hyping each other up, they often do not hesitate to call each other 'handsome', 'cool', 'pretty', or 'beautiful' even though the latter two are often used on feminine recipients. The member(s) receiving these compliments are often abashed but pleased.
- Special mention to Yeosang, who accidentally made Seonghwa really flustered, and San deduced during a mafia game that Yeosang was definitely not the mafia because he's handsome.
- Seonghwa frequently gets compliments from the other members for his good looks as well. Mingi goes as far to say even the dust on his shoes are beautiful.
- Big Little Brother: Yunho and Mingi, the two tallest, are these to the older members.
- Blatant Lies: Mingi at Weekly Idol. One episode he told the MCs and ONEUS that they saw giraffes while filming in the Sahara Desert. He somewhat defies this in their subsequent appearance in the show, where he claims he is an angel sent from heaven and had his wings removed from "Paradise Hospital". The lie detector believes it.
- Blonde, Brunette, Redhead:
- During "Say My Name" era, Hongjoong, Seonghwa and Wooyoung are blondes, San is the redhead, and the others are brunettes.
- During "WAVE" era, Seonghwa, Yeosang, San and Jongho are blondes, Hongjoong is the redhead, and the others sans Yunho are brunettes.
- During "WONDERLAND" era, Wooyoung and Yunho are blondes, Mingi is the redhead, while the others sans Hongjoong are brunettes.
- During "Answer" era, Hongjoong, Yeosang and Wooyoung are blondes, Mingi remains the redhead, and the others sans San (who has a blonde streak through his fringe) are brunettes.
- During "INCEPTION" era, Seonghwa, Yunho, Yeosang and Mingi are blondes, Jongho is the redhead, while the others sans Hongjoong are brunettes.
- During "Fireworks (I'm The One)" era, Seonghwa and Hongjoong are blondes, Jongho remains the redhead, while Yunho and Yeosang are brunettes. Wooyoung and San have blonde streaks and pink hair, respectively.
- Born Lucky: Yunho. He's guaranteed to win at every game he participates in.
- His dyed hair also serves as a Good Luck Charm at winning in music shows.
- Defied once when he and Yeosang were the only duo to fail the hello82 One Chip challenge because Yeosang was too slow to order their ice cream.
- Boy Band
- Butt-Monkey: Mingi.
- Seonghwa is also this to Wooyoung and San.
Seonghwa: I'll keep an eye on you two. I'll get my revenge someday, just you wait!
- Cargo Ship: Yeosang × Hehetmon (his self-made cartoon), San × Shiber (his shiba doll), Jongho × Apples (his preferred fruit to destroy)
- Catchphrase: "Eight makes one team! We are ATEEZ!"
- "Fix on!" is Mingi's own catchphrase that serves as an intro to his raps.
- Celebrity Resemblance:
- Cool Old Guy: Subverted with San in a hello82 challenge. He posed as an 82-year old man as part of a mission to surprise a cover dance group, and he pulled it off!
- Color-Coded for Your Convenience: The members each have their own colored microphones for their concerts. For reference:
- Hongjoong: White
- Seonghwa: Silver
- Yunho: Blue
- Yeosang: Red
- San: Gold
- Mingi: Light blue / Concrete
- Wooyoung: Black
- Jongho: Magenta
- Costume Porn: Oh so very much for stage outfits. The last week of "INCEPTION" promotions take the cake.
- Cute Little Fangs: Hongjoong and Yeosang.
- Deadpan Snarker: No one beats Yeosang when it comes to this. Everyone has been a victim at least once. Weekly Idol even hosted a full segment for him to roast his members.
Hongjoong: Sometimes I used to think about how can I break Yeosang's skateboard in half and bury it in the sea.
Yeosang: Then I should take Hongjoong-hyung's laptop and throw it into the sea too.
Yeosang: During the still parts of the choreo, can you not move your tongue?
Yunho: Yeosang, I have something to confess. When I returned home, I accidentally kicked your skateboard.
Yeosang: ...*to the camera* I will see him later.
Yeosang: Can you follow the choreo and try not to invent your own moves?
Yeosang: *knowing Mingi was silenced by gangster Yunho* Mingi, if you're the mafia, say something.
Yeosang: See? He didn't say anything, he's the mafia.
Yeosang: I want to tell my past self not to be friends with 17-year-old Wooyoung.
Yeosang: *about to get finger-flicked by Jongho* I want to arrive our destination alive.
- Death Glare: Everyone is capable of doing this for their intense stage performances. San, Hongjoong and Seonghwa are prominent examples.
- Fanboy: Hongjoong is a fanboy of 80s pop icons like David Bowie and Prince, Seonghwa is a fanboy of Chungha and many girl groups, Yunho and San are fanboys of EXO, Mingi is a fanboy of Kim Jongkook, Jongho is a fanboy of Monsta X while Wooyoung and Yeosang are both fanboys of BTS, and they were ex-trainees of BigHit.
- Full-Name Ultimatum: Averted. The boys often evoke each others full names out of excitement, and this is not limited to the eldest two members.
- Germans Love David Hasselhoff: The international fanbase of ATEEZ is much larger than that in Korea.
- Go to Your Room!: Inverted, with Hongjoong often threatening to call the misbehaving members to his own room for a lecture if they continue to disobey him.
- Guyliner: ATEEZ are not afraid to sport bold eyeshadow for their stage performances, with "Say My Name" and "HALA HALA" promotions and MAMA 2020 being their biggest offenders. Wooyoung sported heavy eyeliner during "Pirate King" and Hongjoong in the music video for his cover of "Numb" by Linkin Park.
- Jack-of-All-Trades: Basically all of them. Visuals, dancers, singers, rappers, comedians, actors, you name it!
- Hongjoong is officially recognized as the all-rounder leader by media and shows. He can compose, produce, dance, rap, sing, mentors and teaches other members music. He can also design and reform anything, from airpod cases and stage props to his own personal clothing. The members also assert that he is smart and very versatile.
- Yunho is often told by the other members that he is good at everything due to his uncanny knack for playing and winning most games. He also often mentors the other members on choreographies as a talented dancer who is a patient teacher.
- Jongho has a long list of abilities, on top of being an extremely masterful main vocalist. He can draw, rap, dance, play the guitar, act, and is an avid photographer. He also picked up hairstyling from the team's make-up stylists, and has been seen styling the hairstylist's hair on an informal video before.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Yeosang might be an elite Deadpan Snarker, but he's genuinely one of the kindest, nicest members (and most loved by other members) in the group. Hongjoong says he worries about Yeosang all the time because of how sweet and gullible he can be, and hence he tends to be quite protective of him. Yeosang's mother was worried about Yeosang becoming a trainee, but after he met Wooyoung she was relieved because she knew Wooyoung would take care of him. Past classmates have also come forward to talk about how they've never heard him say a single swear word while in school.
- Mr. Fanservice: Everyone has had their moments of these, but San, Wooyoung, Seonghwa and Mingi in particular invoke this trope a lot (especially in the MAMA stages).
- Music/Age Dissonance: Hongjoong is a fan of older artists. His personal covers include: David Bowie's "Space Oddity", Prince's "Purple Rain", and Michael Jackson's "Black or White". "Space Oddity" was released about 30 years before Hongjoong was born.
- The Napoleon: Although he is not actually that short, Hongjoong is visibly smaller than the other taller, lankier members of ATEEZ, which makes for an interesting visual because as the leader, he's usually the one organising and disciplining those causing havoc.
- Neat Freak: As mentioned above, Seonghwa who has Super OCD tendencies.
- Only Sane Man: Yeosang claims to be this to 99z.
Yeosang: I think I'm the only normal one in 99z.
- Peek-a-Bangs: Seonghwa has these in "WONDERLAND" MV, comeback teaser materials and stage performances. These make a slight comeback in the "ZERO: FEVER Part.2" album photos and the first 2 comeback stages of "Fireworks (I'm The One)".
- Princely Young Man: Yeosang and Seonghwa stand out the most.
- Pushover Parents: Seonghwa is this to Wooyoung and San.
- Real Men Wear Pink:
- Seonghwa, who is an avid fan of Disney animation films, loves to play with plushies he receives at fansigns, and is an expert at girl group choreography. He has stated this loud and clear in an variety segment previously.
Wooyoung: I want the character nail.
Seonghwa: Men should have pink.
- Mingi, who has his own affectionate language (e.g. calls the color pink "heart-colored") and is a big fan of the romance genre.
- Although the above two are the core examples, the group in general can be this, seeing how they call themselves and enjoy being called pretty, lovely, or beautiful, which are typically considered feminine terms.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Yunho, San, Wooyoung and Mingi are the red to Hongjoong, Seonghwa, Yeosang and Jongho's blue.
- Among the 98z, Hongjoong is the red to Seonghwa's blue. Ironic, since Hongjoong and Seonghwa's personality types are introverted and extroverted, respectively.
- Running Gag: Seonghwa cleaning, Jongho breaking fruits, Yeosang roasting others, and Mingi exaggerating things.
- Singer-Songwriter: Hongjoong and Mingi.
- Snark-to-Snark Combat: A few members attempt to do this to Yeosang. No one wins.
- Hongjoong and Wooyoung, Wooyoung and San, Yunho and Mingi, Mingi and Jongho engage in this as well, as do Seonghwa and Hongjoong, as validated by Yeosang:
Yeosang: *watching Seonghwa and Hongjoong bicker* As always, they have their cute banters.
Hongjoong: Don't use the words 'cute banters'
Yeosang: Oh? Aren't you guys close (친구) yet?
- Surprisingly Good English: Jongho describes things in English well, and San has perfected a standard American accent. Hongjoong is considered to have the best English, however, and often translates for the group. Members have been taking English lessons, so they have all been improving.
- Tall, Dark, and Handsome: Seonghwa, Yunho, and Mingi (the three tallest members), especially during promotions of the darker songs (which is most of the time).
- The Tease: San and Wooyoung, who are in charge of being sexy.
- According to Yeosang in his Weekly Idol roast, Wooyoung has Stripperific tendencies. He is not pleased with that.
- And as Yeosang pointed this out, San, who had similar outfits with Wooyoung, remained silent and covered his chest up while the others were busy laughing at Wooyoung (and Yeosang's roast).
- Yunho would later call them out again when the group returns to Weekly Idol for a third time.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Yeosang and chicken, Seonghwa and Ddeokbokki (Spicy red pepper paste rice cakes).
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Any member can be matched with another to invoke this. ATEEZ is a team that is considered quite close and slightly overly-attached to each other.
- Vocal Dissonance: Yeosang, whose voice is much deeper than he looks. It seems that cute, baby-faced idols with deep voices like himself, Taehyung and Felix are getting to be commonplace in the K-pop world.
- What Beautiful Eyes!: Seonghwa's trademark feature. The sparkly eyeshadow he wears during stage performances makes them stand out even more.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair:
- During "Pirate King" era, San has green hair, Yeosang has pink hair, Mingi took it literally and Wooyoung has purple hair.
- Yunho and Hongjoong took the trope literally, the former once in "WAVE" era and the latter twice, in "WONDERLAND" and "INCEPTION" era.
- Album Intro Track: "Intro : Long Journey", "End of the Beginning", "Hearts Awakened, Live Alive - Expression Revisited", "Declaration", and "Dear Diary: 2016.07.29" are these to All To Zero, All To Action, Shift The Map, Map To Answer, and FEVER Part.1 respectively.
- Auto-Tune: Many of their songs use this stylistically.
- Badass Baritone: Mingi. Seonghwa and Yeosang show shades of this as well.
- Chronological Album Title: Their discography goes into trilogies, starting with the TREASURE trilogy, followed by FEVER (The third part of which is to be released on 13 September 2021).
- Concept Album: TREASURE EP.1: All To Zero is tied closely to the adventurous pirate theme. Some tracks include: "Intro : Long Journey", "Pirate King", and "Treasure".
- Evil Laugh: Downplayed; Hongjoong has a manic little pirate giggle he uses to open his rap verses in some songs. In "Deja Vu", the giggle sounds more like a cackle.
- Hidden Track: TREASURE EP.2: Zero To One has a hidden track called "From" only available on the physical CD.
- Incredibly Long Note: Most songs and covers have Jongho singing these either at the climax or ending, thus this is considered a staple in their signature sound. Notable mentions go to the rearranged version of "WONDERLAND" ("Symphony No.9: From the Wonderland") for the "Kingdom: Legendary War" series and their cover of TURBO's "Black Cat (Nero)", wherein he belts 4 and 6 progressive high notes respectively.
- Lyrical Cold Open: Yunho and Yeosang done this once ("Utopia") and twice ("Illusion", "INCEPTION") respectively. In "Star 1117", Mingi starts at the same time as the instrumental.
- One-Word Title: Half of their discography.
- Pep-Talk Song: "Dancing Like Butterfly Wings".
- Pirate Song: "Pirate King".
- Remix Album: Their Japanese albums mostly consist of rearranged versions of their older songs.
- Singer Name Drop: In "Say My Name".
- Soprano and Gravel: The relatively high vocal tones of San, Wooyoung, Jongho, Hongjoong (vocally and for rap) in contrast with the midrange to deep voices of Seonghwa, Yunho, Yeosang, and Mingi.
- Xtreme Kool Letterz: "THANXX".
Music Video and Performance Tropes
- Abandoned Warehouse: Where the performance video for "HALA HALA" was shot.
- Coat, Hat, Mask: The signature garb of HALATEEZ / FEDORAZ.
- Chroma Key: "Illusion".
- Cover Version: They did covers of various songs, such as BTS' "The Truth Untold" and "Fire", EXO's "Growl" and SHINee's "Sherlock".
- Dancing Is Serious Business: Basically all the members. Especially 99z, who are all main or lead dancers.
- Darker and Edgier: Zero to One and All to Action are this to All to Zero and One to All, respectively.
- "WONDERLAND" is arguably this to all of their previous title tracks, with most of the MV taking place in a dark setting. Even "Say My Name" has a few scenes with natural light.
- "Say My Name" is much darker than "Pirate King".
- This can be seen within albums as well, where they have upbeat, feel-good songs (Stay, Wave, Aurora, If Without You, THANXX, Eternal Sunshine) matched with darker, edgier songs (HALA HALA, Utopia, Wonderland, INCEPTION, Deja Vu)
- Evil Counterpart: Zero To One saw the introduction of ATEEZ's dark counterparts, popularly known as HALATEEZ (or FEDORAZ as stated when they "took over" the group's official fancafe for April Fools).
- Hotter and Sexier: Wooyoung and San's usual selves in ATEEZ's regular concepts.
- Lighter and Softer: "One to All".
- Performance Video: Those after debut include "Pirate King," "HALA HALA," and "Aurora".
- Pirate: The debut "Pirate King". The trope is lampshaded as ATEEZ themselves.
- "Illusion" takes place on a pirate ship for majority of the video.
- In the competition show Kingdom: Legendary War, the group emphasizes the pirate concept for the "Symphony No.9: From the Wonderland" performance.
- Signature Dance Move:
- Steering wheel move in "Pirate King".
- Driving dance in "Say My Name".
- Rubbing hands move in "WONDERLAND".
- Hip thrust in "Answer".
- Bodyline tracing motion ending in an aggressive hip twist in "INCEPTION".
- Thumbing (under) their noses off at a figurative adult audience in "THANXX".
- Slasher Smile: Oh, Hongjoong. Seonghwa and San have pulled these off as well during performances such as "WONDERLAND (Halloween Ver.)" and "HALA HALA".
- Technician vs. Performer: San is the performer to Yunho and Jongho's Technician in terms of dancing and vocals, respectively.