"The entity known as Apophis knows only one thing: corruption. It has been around since time began and it exists to defile and destroy. It is the ultimate trickster, the overwhelming darkness and the unceasing perversion. Among the minions of Isis and Osiris, Apophis is considered the source of all evil. Many are drawn into the Great Serpent's snare unwittingly as their natural desires for success and wealth are slowly tainted by Apophis' insidious influence."
Old World of Darkness
- Midnight Circus: Devyn Cavendish, born Anastagio Salvatore, is a powerful Nephandi mage who has sold his soul for power. The longest serving ringmaster of the Midnight Circus, Cavendish manages the day to day affairs, eliminating troublesome employees, spreading murder and mayhem, and harvesting countless souls to give to the "Old Shareholders", or the hellish forces behind the Circus, while stealing some for his own experiments. A selfish and murderous man, Cavendish tricks multitudes of innocents into surrendering their souls or outright lures them to their doom, while enslaving supernatural beings to do his bidding. One of the vilest beings in the World of Darkness, Cavendish represents the utter rot and monstrosity that the once-noble Circus now embodies.
- Vampire: The Masquerade:
- Tzimisce, the eponymous Tzimisce Antediluvian, was by far the most inhuman of all the vampires both by an utterly alien personality and by the sheer depravity of his evil. Spawned from the second generation vampire Enoch, Tzimisce was fascinated by vampyrism and sought to achieve perfection through his own twisted definition of evolution. He created the discipline of Vicissitude, flesh shaping, which allowed him and his bloodline to not only shape their own physical form, but also defile other living beings by twisting their own flesh and bone into torturous forms. Secretly, the discipline also allowed him to possess and consume anyone of his bloodline, giving him true immortality. Tzimisce spent the following centuries perfecting his art by torturing countless humans and vampires, and is even said to have created the Baali bloodline by teaching them demon worship. While eventually thought slain, he secretly impersonated a vampire he slew until Gehenna finally arrived. During Gehenna, Tzimisce enacted his master plan by first devouring and fusing with the millions of people in New York City. He grew powerful enough to function as a disembodied spirit and possessed Tremere during his ritual to control humanity. Through the ritual, he fused with every living thing on Earth and turned them into abominations in his image, an act considered so unholy that God himself finally stepped in and destroyed Tzimisce forever.
- Sascha Vykos, born Myca Vykos, is a monster whose legacy dates back to 11th Century Constantinople. Sired by the Tzimisce Symeon, Vykos eventually destroyed his sire by repeatedly consuming and regurgitating him before a final act of draining him to death. Changing his gender and taking the name "Sascha," Vykos became a major figure in the monstrous Sabbat, feared even by its monstrous Clan. Vykos invents new tortures, having perfected them upon countless unwilling victims whose agony it can prolong for years to centuries, alternating it with incredible pleasure to make the victim unsure if it is experiencing torture or rape. In modern times, Vykos plays a major role in the war for the United States East Coast, using its fellow Sabbat as Cannon Fodder or torture victims when it's bored. One luckless failed assassin is reshaped to its servant, tortured and broken so she may experiment with how loyal it has made him. With a thousand-year reign of horror, an insatiable hunger for knowledge and an unspeakable appetite for torture, Vykos is the one who shows the rest of the Sabbat what it truly means to be a monster.
- Nergal, one of the three founders of the Baali bloodline, manages to stick out even by their standards. Almost solely responsible for turning the Baali into a Religion of Evil so vile that they make the Followers of Set seem tame by comparison, Nergal ruled a city in ancient Mesopotamia as a king, and unleashed a plague on his own people in an attempt to awaken a sleeping Eldritch Abomination. Moloch, another of the clan's founders, realized just how bad of an idea this was, and actually sold Nergal out to the other clans in a desperate attempt to stop him. Nergal, of course, survived, attempted the same ritual again, and when that failed, went to the New World and declared himself a God to the Aztec people, who named him "Huitzilopochtli." He went on to establish a particularly brutal practice of blood sacrifice and human sacrifice. When the Lasombra-led Spanish Conquistadors showed up, Nergal casually sold his followers out and went into torpor beneath what is now Mexico City, where he remains to this day. Even in the present, the surviving descendants of Moloch seek to stop Nergal and his descendants from breaking the world by creating Hell on Earth. How bad Nergal is can be demonstrated by the fact that nearly half of a bloodline universally regarded as the most malevolent in the entire setting thinks he's a menace and needs to be stopped.
- Augustus Giovanni, the Giovanni Antediluvian, is the most selfish and monstrous of his clan and family. A mortal merchant sired by the Antediluvian Cappadocius, Augustus masterminded the Conspiracy of Isaac to create enough chaos to murder and Diablerize his own sire before exterminating the entire Cappadocian clan. Using his own family to become new members of the Giovanni clan, Augustus left the mortal bloodline intact, crafting his family into incestuous, cannibalistic necromancers who regularly enslave the dead and scheme and backstab for his favor and the honor of being Embraced (turned into a vampire). Desiring to supplant God himself, Augustus enslaves countless wraiths to eventually destroy the Shroud and cause the world to be utterly overrun by the dead so he can enslave both the living and the dead and become the unquestioned master of everyone.
- Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines:
- Andrei the Tzimisce, as Archbishop of the L.A. branch of the Sabbat, takes the Sabbat's ideals of embracing their inner beast and renouncing their humanity to a whole new level. Andrei lives in a house that he has decorated with body parts in order to make it resemble his ancestral estate. The walls are coated with bloodied human flesh, and the furniture is made from bones and organs. Equal parts Evil Sorcerer and Mad Scientist, Andrei uses live people and vampires as materials in his construction of the monstrous abominations that serve as his soldiers. He then tests the killing capacity of these monsters by unleashing them on defenseless mortals, with his ultimate goal being to use them to wage war against the Camarilla. In particular he plans on wiping out the Nosferatu in order to "gouge out the eyes of the Camarilla". Also, should the player not send away their ghoul friend/lover, Heather Poe, then, upon reaching the Sabbat's lair, the player will arrive just in time see Heather brutally murdered by Andrei's goons.
- Bishop Vick is the egotistical leader of the plaguebearer cult, the Brotherhood of the Ninth Circle. Losing his faith in God and humanity after his Embrace, Vick formed the Brotherhood to spread a fatal, gruesome disease amongst prostitutes and the homeless, and anyone he deems "enlightened", with the intent of infecting vampire and human alike, utterly decimating the latter population. By the time the fledgling reaches Downtown LA, the cult's sicknesses have already reached levels high enough to bring the CDC in. His human followers residing in the crack house are shown to have been reduced to little more than rotting, mindless zombies.
- Mummy: The Resurrection: Apophis, the Great Serpent, is the lord of Izfret and enemy of Ma'at and Osiris. Seeking to corrupt and destroy the world, Apophis has its servants corrupt and desecrate all they can while twisting and devouring countless souls in order to suit its dark designs on Earth. The ultimate enemy of the Resurrected, Apophis also commands Human Sacrifice and further evil deeds from its cults, seeking the day when it can rise and completely obliterate everything that lives. Apophis is also a patron of the wicked Midnight Circus, giving the ringmasters the power they need to corrupt and destroy countless souls themselves.
- Mage: The Awakening:
- Aaron Murphy is the leader of the Huntsmen cabal from Banishers. In a sourcebook where most of the adversaries are portrayed as somewhat sympathetic, he stands out for being a rapist and torturer who uses the Banisher ethos as an excuse to indulge his sick desires. He is presented as a total sociopath, willing to deceive and betray anyone for his ends. Even his backstory of parental abuse and fear of female Thyrsus fails to make him any more sympathetic.
- Joe "Blood of the Lamb" Beal is a Serial Killer Scelestus from Boston Unveiled and Left-Hand Path. An absolutely insane Thrysus, he started out bad, with his Awakening involving seeing Jesus Christ as an apex predator, and got worse, with him switching devotion to the Abyss because the "natural cycle" most Thrysus respect didn't give him enough power. He's a master of psychological and physical torture, and what's worse is that he doesn't even have a motive beyond sadism— to him, his prey are just toys he can inflict various Life-related tortures on until they beg for the end.
- Promethean: The Created: Most evil Prometheans are motivated by years of torment they have received at the hands of regular mortals. Not so Oleg Wormwood, Ukrainian mobster and would-be bringer of the apocalypse. Created at the time of the Chernobyl disaster, Oleg witnessed the meltdown, and, despite having a relatively good life by Promethean standards, desired to replicate it across the face of the world. Joining the Ukrainian, and then Russian branches of The Mafiya, Oleg killed numerous men—and gave large numbers of prostitutes cancer—in the process of making a name for himself, all while building up the connections and resources he would need to achieve his dream. He has purchased plutonium for terrorist causes, stirred up trouble between India and Pakistan, and otherwise done everything he can to manipulate the world's leaders into creating the nuclear holocaust that he so desperately craves. Emotionally hollow, and incapable of remorse, Oleg has no desire to ever be human, viewing mortals as nothing but tools to aid him in triggering the apocalypse.
- In Hunter: The Vigil you can expect to deal with the very worst that the supernatural world can throw at you. Yet as the following slashers and cultists establish, sometimes you don't need to be a vampire or a werewolf to be truly heinous:
- Larry Meeks, alias Captain Hook, is a small, pudgy, uninspiring man who runs a bait shop, dresses like he's going on a fishing expedition and has a fanatical hatred of anybody he thinks is better looking, more successful, or stronger then he is. A murderer since the age of fifteen, when he first determined to "prove himself", Larry baits in his victims with kindness, playing the role of the favourite neighbour or kindly uncle. Once he's won their confidence, he then subdues them with a gaffhook, and hangs them up in his fishing shack with thousands of tiny fish hooks embedded in their skin. Slowly draining his victims of blood over the course of several days, Larry then guts and cleans them "just like a pretty trout." Active for years, a recent invitation from the Subtle Collectors' Association (a cabal of like-minded killers) has convinced Larry that it is time to up his game, and he plans to move onto still bigger and better targets in the hopes of impressing upon his compatriots the is the best. Totally consumed by his need to hurt people, Larry spends most of his off time talking to his customers about his murders, using fishing metaphors to obscure what he's really going on about.
- Harvey Ecks, known variously as The Rest Stop Killer, The Torso Maker, and (his preferred sobriquet) The Driver, had a dream when he was still in the womb. In it, he learned that by understanding the Dream Pattern, he would be able to gain total control over all reality. In his quest to achieve this goal, Harvey discovered that by forcing people to watch their limbs being amputated, he could make them reveal pieces of the Pattern. Once a roving killer who left headless torsos at rest stops, Harvey decided that this was too inefficent. Staking out a patch of the interstate highway, Harvey brainwashed diner waitresses, gas station attendents, and state troopers into blindly serving him, then installed video surveillance cameras on billboards. When he sights a likely victim, he forces his servants (who know him only as The Driver) to help him capture that person, whom he then tortures to death in the hopes that they will reveal more of the Pattern.
- Thomas Salvatore, the head chef and owner of the Epicurean Club, is leader of the Pate de Fois Gras cult. A would-be chef, and gourmand, Salvatore was never able to get his restaurants to work. At least not until he'd visited Papua New Guinea and gained a taste for "long pig". Returning home, Salvatore recruited a gang of equally amoral chefs, purchased Briarwood Farms, and used it to raise his food of choice—human children. Keeping the kids locked in filthy cages, Salvatore and his compatriots force the children to bulk up on food and stimulants, before cutting out their livers and serving them to their patrons, none of whom have a clue what they are eating. Determined that he will be known as one of the world's greatest chefs, Salvatore plans to ride his new-found success all the way to the top—no matter how many children he has to butcher in the process.