Pig Bride is a Korean Sunjeong (romance) manhwa written and illustrated by Kook-Hwa Huh and Su-Jin Kim. It was published monthly in Yen Plus.
Rich pretty boy Si-Joon got lost in the woods when he was eight years old. He feared he never make it out alive and became extremely hungry. When a strange girl in a pig mask appeared before him, he followed her to an old-fashioned house where he was told that he must marry the pig-faced girl to atone for the sins of their ancestors. Si-Joon was not too keen on getting married, but famished as he was, he agreed to marry her in exchange for the wedding feast. Eight years later, Si-Joon has dismissed this encounter as a dream... that is, until his 16th birthday, when the girl in the pig mask shows up in his dorm and wants to consummate their marriage. Si-Joon returns home thinking he can get a away from this nightmare only to find that Mu-Yeon has been reluctantly welcomed into his home - as his wife.
Now Si-Joon struggles to cope with this new situation with the help of his savvy best friend, Ji-Oh, but when Doe-Doe (Si-Joon's school crush who may not be the perfect, well-mannered lady he imagines her to be) shows up at his front door, the pig may be out of the bag.
Pig Bride has examples of:
- Alpha Bitch: Doe-Doe
- Animal Motifs: Princess Ki-Ryong, the snake assassin, who is "filled with snake ki".
- Beautiful All Along: Mu-Yeon has appeared with half her mask off from the eyes-up and nose-down; combine both halves with her previous incarnation and she's an adorable girl.
- In volume 4 the mask comes off and she is indeed extremely beautiful. As if it was any big surprise...
- Big Eater: Mu-Hwa, who can be bribed with snacks and displays affection through food as well.
- Bishounen: Si-Joon and Ji-Oh. It's commented on all the frickin' time.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Doe-Doe can be vicious.
- Bolt of Divine Retribution: When Doe-Doe takes off Mu-Yeon's mask, she tries on the mask and gets zapped for her trouble.
- Doe-Doe learns from this experience, and is careful to get the hell away when some other girls decide to sabotage Mu-Yeon at the beauty pageant.
- Childhood Marriage Promise: Si-Joon made one with Mu-Yeon in exchange for dinner when they were eight, but thought it was just a dream- until eight years later...
- Dangerous 16th Birthday: Not exactly dangerous, but things certainly get complicated from then on.
- Deadpan Snarker: Surprisingly, Mu-Yeon; Si-Joon blames himself since he introduced Mu-Yeon to the Internet.
- The Faceless: Mu-Yeon, due to the pig mask. It's implied that she isn't ugly but rather cute looking
- Fortune Teller: Mu-Yeon has a talent for this.
- Gold Digger: How Doe-Doe is initially portrayed. Turns out her mother is the one who wants Doe-Doe married into a rich family, so she herself can have the money.
- Grand Theft Me: Doe-Doe is possessed by a ghost which tries to make her kill Si-Joon.
- Idiot Hero: Dear God Si-Joon is thick sometimes. Ji-Oh thinks of him as a pet.
- Instant Fan Club: Si-Joon is always followed around by girls, and later the BL fans get excited when they think he's in a relationship with Ji-Oh.
- Love at First Sight: Ji-Oh was given a particularly extensive Love at First Sight sequence the first time he saw Mu-Hwa. Whether anything will actually come of this remains to be seen.
- This is also the case when Mu-Yeon first saw Si-Joon. Keep in mind she was eight.
- Love Triangle: Initially Si-Joon is caught between Mu-Yeon and Doe-Doe. Later on after Doe-Doe has given up on Si-Joon after he chooses Mu-Yeon, she falls for Ji-Oh instead, who's attracted to Mu-Hwa. Girl never gets a break...
- The Matchmaker: Mu-Yeon and Mu-Hwa's mother.
- No Guy Wants an Amazon: Si-Joon remarks early on that he doesn't like modern women because they're "too strong and aggressive." So you think he'd be pleased with the ultimate in old-fashioned girls....
- No Social Skills: Mu-Yeon was raised to be the perfect (very, very traditional) Korean lady while her sister Mu-Hwa was raised to be the perfect bodyguard and warrior."Please don't stab the birds! That doesn't mean you can shoot them with a slingshot!"
- Polar Opposite Twins: Mu-Hwa and Mu-Yeon
- Power Incontinence: Doe-Doe temporarily gains the ability to magnetically attract objects... which can't be turned off.
- Reincarnation Romance: Si-Joon and Mu-Yeon are the reincarnations of a married couple from a Korean folk-tale.
- Secret Test of Character: Si-Joon has to endure three of these to win Mu-Yeon's hand.
- The Smart Guy: Ji-Oh's unfailing competence is just about all that keeps Si-Joon sane.
- Team Pet: Mr. Racoon
- Tsundere: Si-Joon is a male type A towards Mu-Yeon.
- Uncanny Valley Makeup: Mu-Yeon during the beauty pagent, courtesy of Si-Joon "helping" her out.
- Will They or Won't They?: Ji-Oh and Mu-Hwa seem set to become the Beta Couple, with Mu-Hwa's mother even attempting to arrange their marriage, but by the end they're still not together and Doe-Doe just makes things more complicated.
- Yamato Nadeshiko: Mu-Yeon is a traditional Korean lady.