Doom Breaker is a manhwa written by Cheong Dam aka Blue-Deep. Its alternate titles are Reincarnation of the Suicidal Battle God, To a New Life, A Battle God's Second Chance, and 투신전생기. It is available in English on Webtoon and in Korean on Naver.
Zephyr is the last human fighting evil in a world abandoned by the gods. When he is killed in battle by Tartarus, the god of destruction, all hope for humanity seems lost. But Zephyrs fate is not sealed — the gods who find his battles entertaining have gifted him [[Reincarnation a second chance]] at life, as he is sent ten years into the past, back to when he was a slave instead of the most powerful human alive. Can Zephyr get his revenge against Tartarus and save the woman he loves, or is he doomed to repeat the past?
The story is currently on Hiatus following the conclusion of the first 60 Chapters, referred to by the author as 'Season 1'.
This work provides examples of:
- Ancestral Weapon: Blood Tears is a powerful sword that Ned and his family possessed. It was an heirloom that was passed down after Ned's ancestor got it by defeating demons in the desert. His father lost it in the Dungeon Bubble Break to Cardinal Olin Lasker who passed it on to Jinryang of the East, Ned's master and the 9th-highest ranking member of the Tartarus Worshippers.
- Balance of Power: Once, the <Western Alliance> of the Western Lords and the <Eastern Union> of the Eastern Lords were equal powers in the Kingdom of Cayenne on the continent of Aslan. However, after the Giornetti Duke House of the <Western Alliance> produced both the Queen and the Holy One of Light/Saint of Light, the balance of power collapsed. The Dungeon Bubble Break only made things worse for the <Eastern Union>.
- Brought Down to Badass: Having been reincarnated this is what Zephyr is. It is revealed following his merging with the Dragon Heart he had merged with 5 Dragon Hearts in his prior life.
- Corrupt Church: The Temple of Light is one of the major religions worshipping the Goddess of Light Aria in addition to being one of the largest money lenders. It uses people who lost their homes to monsters and adventurers who can't pay their medical bills as slaves. Not only that, a large number of powerful priests are secret followers of The God of Demons Tartarus.
- Dungeon-Based Economy: Dungeons are seen as potential money makers so rich people and nobles would invest in raids, hoping to profit handsomely once the dungeon is cleared and the land surrounding the dungeon can be developed. However, 12 years prior to Zephyr traveling back in time, due to countless false raids and corruption on the Temple of Light's part, the Dungeon Bubble Break caused many people to lose their fortunes and/or their titles like Ned and his father.
- Dungeon Crawler: Dungeons are deemed dangerous but have valuable items like mana stones. They also are sources of monsters who can be used as raw materials.
- Flipping the Bird: Zephyr is very fond of this. In the very first chapter he uses it as a Take That! to Tartarus.
- The End of the World as We Know It: Zephyr experienced this before being sent back in time by the gods, thanks to The God of Demons Tartarus and countless monsters wiping out humanity.
- How We Got Here: In chapter 44, Ned gave one to Claudia as he explained coin tosses, how experienced people can basically see the coin in slow motion, and how Zephyr tried to change the result.
- Level Up: The entire goal of Zephyr following his reincarnation. This more blatantly occurs when Zephyr is merged with the Dragon Heart following the Raid of the Tomb of the Fallen Princess. Becoming a Dragon Knight by merging with his first Dragon Heart of his new life.
- Peggy Sue: Zephyr was sent to when he was twenty after being killed by Tartarus with his memories and a few perks from the gods.
- Jerkass Gods: The gods don't really care for humanity. They thought that they are boring until Zephyr got their attention. The reason they gave him a second chance was that they wanted more entertainment.
- Monster Organ Trafficking: Adventurers could take monsters and harvest them for parts and make money. Zephyr took whole monsters and gave them to a monster broker to pay down his debt.
- Religion of Evil: There are Followers of Tartarus who helped Tartarus destroy the world. They were a very secret society where not even they know who was in charge.
- Slave Brand: The Slave Mark is this. All slaves of the Temple of Light have the Slave Marks magically branded onto their shoulders. If a slave tries to go too far from the Temple of Light he/she received his/her Slave Mark in, such as the Third Parish of the Temple of Light, it would activate, stopping the slave's heart and killing him/her. The Slave Mark also allows the Priests of Light to issue forced commands onto the imprinted slaves, as seen when Anna Primrose forced Zephyr and Ned to get on their knees and when during the raid on the Tomb of the Fallen Princess, Lucius forced the hunting team slaves to attack Mathias. However, before Lucius had forced the hunting team slaves to attack Mathias, Zephyr and Ned took the special drugs the executives of the Tartarus Worshippers gave to the members who made up the entire hunting team party, allowing them to No-Sell his attempt to control them and rush straight to the boss room as the dungeon was rearranging itself.
- Work Off the Debt: Slaves of The Temple of Light are enslaved until they could pay off their debt.