Tanis doesn't have it easy. After the arrest of his parents, he's been taking care of himself and his four siblings, despite being the youngest. Aside from the usual problems that brings with it, there's also the fact that his parents were mad scientists - and his siblings were their experiments. Snow is a dog who can turn human. Aisuri has four spider legs growing from her back and arachnid instincts to match. Suishi is a mind-reader. Ashisu can manifest plants from her body and lives off photosynthesis. And Tanis? He just desperately wants to be normal.
Shiyan Pin Jiating: Frankenstein Family is a 2015 Taiwanese manhua. It recieved an anime adaptation as part of the Spring 2018 anime season.
Shiyan Pin Jiating contains examples of the following tropes:
- Animesque: Justified as Japan does play a part in the series' production
- Big Sibling Instinct: Though they often need him to keep them grounded, Tanis' siblings are deeply protective of him, and are quick to act if he's in trouble.
- Guinea Pig Family: If the English subtitle didn't give it away. This is the main premise of the series focusing on a foursome of siblings who, save for Tanis, were experimented on as kids by their Mad Scientist parents and developed super powers as a result.
- I Just Want to Be Normal: Tanis hates the frequent stares and judgement his siblings attract from strangers, and would like little more than to sit down and have a meal together like a normal family.
- Little Bit Beastly: Snow and Aisuri due to being part animals. Snow sometimes forms dog ears on his head when in human form but can easily hide it. Aisuri has spider legs growing out her back and spider markings on her face and arms. As such Tanis develops a backpack for her to hide the legs and uses makeup for the markings when out in public.
- Made of Iron: In the 2nd episode. Ashisu and Snow head out to look for a lost Tanis and come across some wild dogs in the forest. One attacks Ashisu and tries to bite her in the leg, only to end up losing all it's teeth implying her skin is hard like an tree bark.
- Mad Scientist: The Frankenstein Family's parents got themselves arrested with the experiments and modifications they used on their children.
- My Instincts Are Showing: Snow and Aisuri display this due to being part animals (a dog and spider respectfully). Aisuri is especially prone to this since she doesn't really bother to keep her spider form in check.
- No Sense of Direction: Tanis has a horrible sense of direction. The second episode showcases this when he goes out to shop on his own and ends up getting lost by taking a wrong pathway as he's usually with Snow when out shopping who's keen sense of smell can lead them home easily.
- No Social Skills: None of the siblings know much about interacting with the outside world due to mostly being raised in a isolated facility before it was blown up under mysterious circumstances. Tanis knows a little due to having to do the shopping but he's still a kid while his siblings are trying their best to adapt whenever they're permitted to leave their apartment.
- Plant People: Aisuri who was modified with plant genetics. As such she can get by with photosynthesis and can grow flowers in her hair.
- The Stoic: Suishi is the least emotive of the siblings, keeping to herself most of the time and spending it reading books.
- Surprisingly Realistic Outcome: Tanis may be a genius but he's still the youngest of the siblings and still a kid. So he's prone to some childish outburst sometime. The show goes out of its way to show that, while he is the more responsible of the siblings and trying to take care of them, he needs them just as much to keep him out of danger.
- Voluntary Shapeshifting: Snow has gotten a bit of a handle on his shapeshifting abilities. Though his instincts can cause him to shift back to dog form at time.