Zukos Story is an OEL Manga Prequel to The Last Airbender, written by Dave Roman and Alison Wilgus and illustrated by Nina Matsumoto (best known for her own series Yokaiden). It details the years between prince Zukos banishment and the reappearance of the Avatar.
Tropes in this story include:
- Animesque: Deliberately mimics the looks of a manga.
- Just Like Robin Hood: The Red Spirit
- Loose Canon: It ties in to the film, however the writers went out of their way to include references to the animated series. Except for Zuko and Iroh being drawn like their film counterparts, this would fit right in with the animated series' canon. There is however no word whether the series considers this manga to be canon. (Indeed, the canonical comic Avatar: The Last Airbender The Search suggests a different inspiration for Zuko's alter ego the Blue Spirit.)
- The Prophecy: Guru Pahtik delivers one to Zuko.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Zuko gives an epic one to Iroh.
- Snipe Hunt: Like in the series, the search for the Avatar is heavily implied to be this.
- What the Hell, Hero?: When Guru Pahtik encounters Zuko, Zuko demands answers, even physically tackling him at a point. Once the guru gives Zuko a prophecy and leaves, Zuko snaps at Iroh, who had come to the guru's aid, only for Iroh to snap back that there was no excusing harming an elder who's done no harm in return.