Yamada Taro is smart, athletic, and very handsome. He seems perfect on the outside, but he's dirt poor due to his mother's reckless spending habits and his always-gone father. Although never once does he admit it, everyone at school thinks he is a very humble rich boy because of his good looks. However, at home, he must care for his six younger siblings, who share a one-bedroom place with him and his mother.
This series has examples of:
- Amazingly Embarrassing Parents - Takako's parents, who are overweight and extremely thick skinned. Takako is extremely scared at the thought that she might eventually look and act like them.
- Berserk Button - Don't take or waste food or money in front of Taro. He will kick your ass.
- Chick Magnet - Taro has pretty much all the girls in love with him.
- Engagement Challenge - Mimura's grandfather secretly gives Taro a bunch of challenges to try to split him up from Mimura. Eventually, the grandfather concedes, only to find out that Taro is a man.
- Even the Guys Want Him - Not only is Taro a big Chick Magnet, he even manages to make Suguira fall for him.
- Miser Advisor - Taro to his family, doing everything he can to help them save money for meals.
- Mushroom Samba - Taro is given a bag of "flour" from a rich classmate, and uses it to cook pancakes for his family. Later, it is revealed that the huge bag of flour was actually narcotics made from magic mushrooms. However, due to being so poor and starved, Taro and his family managed to digest it with no problems.
- Nosebleed - Suguira has nosebleeds every time he's overwhelmed by Taro's Bishie Sparkles.
- Oblivious to Love - Taro, who generally doesn't even notice that someone likes him. Many times, this leads to him saying things that people misinterpret as his returning their affection.
- Parental Marriage Veto - Mimura's grandfather, who thinks that Taro (while crossdressing) is Mimura's girlfriend, and is completely against their "relationship" because Taro is built like a... well, a man. He tries desperately to find fault in Taro, but in the end, is unable to spot any and finally accepts him. Until he finds out that Taro is a man.
- Perpetual Poverty - Let's just say that no matter how much money Taro manages to get, it'll be gone by the next chapter due to his mother spending it.
- Sacred First Kiss - Taro takes Suguira's sister's first kiss. To put it in her own thoughts: "My most precious first kiss was actually in front of the bathroom, traded for a banana..."
- Status Quo Is God - How Taro's mom keeps spending any money he manages to get, keeping them poor.
- Through His Stomach - Generally how people manage to get Taro to think well of them. If they bring him food, many times he'll hug or show some sort of affection for them, allowing them to misunderstand and think he returns their feelings.
- Unknown Rival - Suguira initially has a very one-sided rivalry with Taro, who was completely oblivious.
- Wholesome Crossdresser - Taro is forced to wear a maid outfit in order to work for Mimura's family, since his family is only looking for a female maid.
- Yaoi Fangirl - Chuusai, Suguira's friend. She seems to love the idea of pairing Taro with Suguira (including her imagining them together naked), and even passionately tells Suguira that she'll support him.